Post your speedtest.net results!

3432165662.png

Hehe. Should be moving up to 152mb by September. Gotta love free upgrades :p

When we first took out our broadband, Virgin was called NTL. At the time we took out a contract for 128kb broadband (this was back in 1998!). Through free upgrades we went to 512kb, 1mb, 2mb, 5mb, 10mb, 20mb, 50mb, 100mb then 120mb, and now 152mb.

Beats crappy BT/phone line broadband by a mile IMO! :) The only downside is the relatively low upload speed.

Hehe. Should be moving up to 152mb by September. Gotta love free upgrades :p

When we first took out our broadband, Virgin was called NTL. At the time we took out a contract for 128kb broadband (this was back in 1998!). Through free upgrades we went to 512kb, 1mb, 2mb, 5mb, 10mb, 20mb, 50mb, 100mb then 120mb, and now 152mb.

Beats crappy BT/phone line broadband by a mile IMO! :) The only downside is the relatively low upload speed.
Very impressive. And here my town is diddling with 6.5 mb and letting us know we should be happy with that. (n)

3438045353.webp

We only have a 50/20 connection, by choice, as I figure what's the use of anything higher for download? All our systems are new Macs, and they're honestly flat-out handling those speeds as is. We noticed no download difference for browsing or general downloads from the default ISP 25 down upon signup. We could get a 100/50 connection for an extra $15 or so a month, but again, it makes no real difference for general use to us. Our default was 25/5, and if it wasn't for the 5 upload, it would have sufficed IMHO, as the 25Mbps down served multiple computers well, without issue. We could all watch a HD movie each, without issue, and browse the web without delay. I just seen no difference above that speed for downloads against 3 computers being used at once.

People say it matters for download speed, but from my experience, they're wrong. Download speed of files is really more dependent on the server being downloaded from in combination with download speed. Our speed doesn't pull anything extra from most major sites any faster than it did at 25 down. I wanted the 20 up for better gaming via the xBox One... and uploading daily backups to our server faster, which it provided.

If they offered a 25/25 connection, I would have taken that, to be perfectly honest. I just don't think computers are there to take much higher. Servers... sure... desktops... nope.

Having the extra speed is only worth it when it's not just you. We're on the highest speed we can get to allow everyone in the house to get a decent speed...plus it was actually cheaper as we did a TV+Broadband+Phone bundle.

Very impressive. And here my town is diddling with 6.5 mb and letting us know we should be happy with that. (n)
That sucks, guessing you've got no cable providers? you may actually find 3G or even satellite to be viable. Both used to be pretty expensive but these days there are provers for both that sell specifically for home use.

Slow net really does suck big time. I was staying up in Scunthorpe a couple of years ago and our little 1mbps connection would drop out every time it rained!

That sucks, guessing you've got no cable providers? you may actually find 3G or even satellite to be viable. Both used to be pretty expensive but these days there are provers for both that sell specifically for home use.

Slow net really does suck big time. I was staying up in Scunthorpe a couple of years ago and our little 1mbps connection would drop out every time it rained!
Have to check out the cable company. In the past they were not reliable.

The we had Dish TV and every time we had a thunderstorm, 10 minutes prior to it starting to rain at our house, the TV would pixilate.

AT&T is super smart... I literally have AT&T fiber terminated in my basement, and for Internet AT&T thought fiber would be a good transport for DSL.

*Hopefully* one day AT&T will flip a switch and stop running DSL technology over fiber and just let me have 1G up/down. :)

3514909531.png

Top Bottom