Lack of interest Post Time Stamp

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I seriously doubt the team would want to implement options to move message content items. There will be way too many options. If you post in the styling and customization section someone will gladly help you achieve your goal.

I seriously doubt the team would want to implement options to move message content items. There will be way too many options. If you post in the styling and customization section someone will gladly help you achieve your goal.

Just a single option would be fine IMO. Timestamp/post number top or bottom.
I moved it with some template edits already but would be nice to have it as an option. It just seems natural to have the timestamp/post number at the top of the post. When I read articles/blogs on pretty much any site, the date that it was posted/published comes first.

The TMS template system is very versatile and the way it works it once you've made the edit it will generally remain due to the system allowing you to merge changes.

A template modification would easily achieve this. I'm not sure why the core should expose masses of options that allow you to re-order your postbit because a standard template edit, or better yet, a template modification is the way to go.

A template modification would easily achieve this. I'm not sure why the core should expose masses of options that allow you to re-order your postbit because a standard template edit, or better yet, a template modification is the way to go.

Who said masses of options? LOL

Postbit Time Stamp/Post Number location: Top or Bottom.

I just don't get the logic of putting the time stamp at the bottom.

Who said masses of options? LOL

Postbit Time Stamp/Post Number location: Top or Bottom.

I just don't get the logic of putting the time stamp at the bottom.
Because, what about people that want it to the left of the message underneath the user info area. What about the people that want to keep likes summary right below it when it moves to the top, now that needs an option too? Requests, like moving elements, are what template modifications are made for. There are millions of elements that could move around, it's not feasible to have an option for each one which is what Rob was hinting at.

The content of a message is more important than when it was posted.

That isn't always true. One example could be an outdated fix that has already been implemented in a new version.

Because, what about people that want it to the left of the message underneath the user info area. What about the people that want to keep likes summary right below it when it moves to the top, now that needs an option too? Requests, like moving elements, are what template modifications are made for. There are millions of elements that could move around, it's not feasible to have an option for each one which is what Rob was hinting at.

XF is only forum software that puts it at the bottom that I am aware of. (well know anyway) When you write a letter don't you put the date at the top? What is wrong with having a switch like VB, old posbit or new postbit.

Must be a US thing.
Declarationw.png

When you write a letter don't you put the date at the top?

That's completely different. Forums aren't letters.

What is wrong with having a switch like VB, old posbit or new postbit.

Because this is XenForo, not vBulletin. If you take a look at KH-Flare (see my signature), though, you'll see it's possible to do it with template edits.

Xenith from @Audentio Design has the time and post stamp in the top of the message, if it helps.

But you can do something like that using a template modification. It would be actually quite easy because your job would be to copy these elements and paste them where you want. After that, just a small CSS fix would do the rest.

An argument is to be made that the reason the date information isn't on the top is that the threads go in order of reply so the date isn't as useful. Also, adding the date as a large item clogs the username area and I'd argue the username and the post content is more important than the date.

I use a style by @Russ (pixelexit) and it allows you to optionally add the timestamp info to the top of the posts in addition to the normal postbit location.

www.greateriowareefsociety.org
www.algaescrubbing.com

@PASS I'm with you here, I find it extremely annoying to have to scroll all the way through to the bottom of a post (especially a long one) in order to see when it was posted. I have no problem with the postbit info at the bottom - but no timestamp at the top bugs the $#%@ out of me.

I did have a workaround for this in default XF but it broke when you edited a post

XF 1.2 - Is it possible to move a posts time and date to another part of the post?

XF 1.2 - Post Time Stamps

See my last few posts on the above thread that describe what I saw.

Whichever way you wanna slice it, it's still just a template modification - sure, some styles may wrap it into a style property as well but if the style doesn't support it then the simplest template modification sorts that out.

Top Bottom