1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Post Sort Order

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by msolano, Jan 17, 2014.

1. msolano

msolano Active Member

Hello. I know that I can define an order for my nodes (as administrator)

But a user wants to order in ascending sort the posts into all the threads. I searched for the option but I can't find it.

Can, as user, choose the order of posts into the threads or in the whole forum?

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

No, it's a global setting only administrators have access to in the admin control panel.

msolano likes this.
  3. msolano

msolano Active Member

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Note that they can temporarily change it by clicking one of the things, such as Last Message, on the discussion list. However, that's based on cookies. Once they clear their cookies, it'll reset to the site default.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    msolano likes this.
  5. msolano

msolano Active Member

Yeah, it's the list of threads list but he wants to order the posts list into the threads. I think it can't be done.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Reordering posts within a thread is not possible.

Amaury likes this.
  7. Ville

Ville Member

Not possible, or not currently possible? In other words, is there some technical reason for why an extension could not implement this? I'm configuring xenForo to move to from vB shortly, and this is a feature that I would really need. My board has a "specialty" that we tend to recycle old threads, and so, some threads have been around for fifteen years (no kidding!) and have hundreds of pages of content. Hence it makes sense to have the most recent content accessible when a thread is opened as opposed to needing to always click on "last page".

rafass likes this.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It would be possible with an add-on but it would require custom development.

Ville likes this.
  9. DroidOne

DroidOne Well-Known Member

Since this was written a while back - is it possible with XF 1.4 for users to select sort order and have the forum remember it?

jauburn likes this.
  10. Valhalla

Valhalla Well-Known Member

I don't believe anything has changed, so the answer above your post would still apply.

DroidOne likes this.
  11. 2faroffroad

2faroffroad Member

Assuming there is still no option for this on a user basis?

Currently.

12. Ville

Ville Member

Or, AFAIK on global basis, either (I'm talking about the descending chronological sorting of the posts in each thread; it's by default ascending, and there's currently no way to alter it). I'm going to need this in order to move my forum from vB to xF; everything else has been taken care of. So it's my intention to look into this really soon (over next couple of weeks). Initially a global admin setting, then a forum-by-forum admin setting, then allow user to override it. If I get ambitious, I may expand it from thread post-sorting to thread sorting as well (thus giving users the option to override).

But if someone else has something suitable available, please let me know (and save me the effort).

13. 2faroffroad

2faroffroad Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  14. Ville

Ville Member

15. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

I just had a user request this for threads in one particular forum. Would like to be able to give him the option.