1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post reply speed

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by vexx, Apr 7, 2013.

1. vexx

vexx Active Member

I've noticed that when replying to any thread on my forum, as an user, after pressing reply, it takes roughly around 2-3 seconds to be posted. On Xenforo (here), it's instant. My question is, what am i doing wrong? I'm on a powerful dedicated server and the only thing I didn't do so far is to implement a caching service on my forum. Also, the jquery files are set-up from Google..not locally. Can those 2 things be the reason for this?

2. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Are you using SMTP or the built in PHP mail handler?

Brogan likes this.
  3. vexx

vexx Active Member

SMTP..the PHP handler sent all my stuff into Spam..anyway, a different story..why do you ask?

4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I found replies to be slow when using a slow SMTP server.

5. vexx

vexx Active Member

well, i'm using google's smtp server and tbh, I don't know exactly how slow/fast it is compared to other smtp's..but i'm gonna do a test now to see if that's the fault

6. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I'd give it a try without using google as see if it improves things

7. vexx

vexx Active Member

yep, disabling smtp makes my replies instant...damn it, this is bad news :(

8. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Hmmm, it looks like the queue() method as defined in XenForo_Mail is only a dummy method so far, and that xF attempts to send out mails to all subscriptions at once. Hope mail queuing is getting implemented in 1.2. :cool:

9. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

If you are sending under 12,000 a month, have a look at Mandrill. That is what I'm using now.

10. vexx

vexx Active Member

it's a new forum..has under 100 members :)

11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Defo give Mandrill a look then. I've been using them since November, and they are getting better all the time as well.