Possible to make "Preview" mandatory before posting?

BGL

With action buttons at the bottom of the Reply box, is it possible to just show "Preview" and to make it mandatory to do a preview before posting? I've seen that on another forum, custom blogging software, and that seems effective.

Changing the button display order to should be a high priority fix in 1.2. It's kind of backwards putting the Option button there instead of preview, easing the work on admin's but making it more work for users.

The thing is usually people only use preview when they are writing long posts and would like to see how the formatting will end up looking like, so it's placed at the end. You usually more often either reply quickly or upload a file. I personally would not like the preview button second as I really don't use it, but I understand depending on your niche and your way of doing things how you would like to have preview before to use it more often.

IMO, what you could do is try and request someone to help you move it yourself for the time being, or request a mod and see if someone is willing to create one that requires you to preview before making a reply.

Effective at what ?
What problem are you trying to solve ?

Encouraging people to use Preview to proof read their messages before posting and saving on the edits.

Putting Preview first is also a service to users vs. making them jump through the "More Options" hoop to preview their messages.

So two problems solved, double jump to preview and encouraging use of preview.

IMO, what you could do is try and request someone to help you move it yourself for the time being, or request a mod and see if someone is willing to create one that requires you to preview before making a reply.

I think that's an available add on already as a XenForo forum I'm on has Preview first. I was curious about taking it a step further, making it mandatory.

It isn't in core, you would have to request someone to make an addon for that. I've never seen this being effective though, I have been on sites using this (with no edits), and those who don't care about their spelling, will just double click (preview then post), those who take the time to proof read will do that, with or without preview.

What's wrong with an edit ?
Are you sure your members are making enough errors to warrant your drastic step.
I'd be really annoyed by it.

On sites with some level of debate, typically the edit period is limited so people don't change what they said which then throws off all the following discussions. So getting people to Preview helps.

Plus previewing messages is kind of a "best practice" issue on discussion forums for a lot of reasons, from spelling and formatting to getting people to maybe step back before using the flamethrower.

It isn't in core, you would have to request someone to make an addon for that. I've never seen this being effective though, I have been on sites using this (with no edits), and those who don't care about their spelling, will just double click (preview then post), those who take the time to proof read will do that, with or without preview.

Thanks. That answers my question.

I have an add-on that adds a "Preview" button to the Quick Reply editor. Clicking it, previews the message in the XenForo overlay.

In theory it could be possible, via javascript, to prevent access to the Post Reply button until the Preview button is pressed. But I can guarantee what will happen.

Your good intentions will certainly result in some people proof reading their posts, but I would fully expect most people to completely disregard the preview, close it immediately, just so they can then post immediately.

You can take a horse to water...

The other effect, I would expect, is for people to instantly dislike it. I would hate any forum I participate in to do this. It's patronising for one, and second it's just plain annoying. If I write a post, I want to post it. I'm perfectly capable of proof reading my posts (if I choose to).

In theory it could be possible, via javascript, to prevent access to the Post Reply button until the Preview button is pressed. But I can guarantee what will happen. Your good intentions will certainly result in some people proof reading their posts, but I would fully expect most people to completely disregard the preview, close it immediately, just so they can then post immediately.

No harm done either way. It was in implemented in another forum and was curious if it was something that could be done with XenForo.

I entirely agree with you. Viewing the preview helps, especially in case of long posts for understanding the final format and look

Thanks
Professional Translation
Yes, but forcing people to do it is just too many barriers in the way of actually posting and it just won't be effective.

People will become blind to it and just click preview and straight away click Reply.

If you want the Preview button more accessible so they can choose themselves whether they want to use it or not, I released this add-on to help with that: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/quick-reply-preview.756/

Wouldn't you find it very annoying if you had to press the preview button before you can submit a post like this?

Possibly but if "Edits" were disabled (hot political forums where having edits is a problem for example) then using Preview is essential.

My own plan is Edits enabled but mandatory "Edited on" goes with it.

Top Bottom