XF 1.2 Polls and voters - looking for the logic

Moshe1010

Something I've noticed lately and it doesn't make much sense for me:

When I open a poll, and don't check the "Display votes publicly", why, as the person who opened the poll, can't I see who've voted to my poll? It doesn't really make sense to make this option "all-or-none", meaning either everybody can see who've voted to my poll or nobody (including admins/moderators who are unable to see this as well).

Why does it not make sense?
Either the votes are public or they're not.
Because as the opener of the poll, I should still be able to see the voters. They aren't public, but I opened the poll - shouldn't I be able to see who've voted to my poll without letting everybody else seeing it?
In addition, as a moderator/admin/super admin, shouldn't I be able to see who've voted to a poll? It's my forum eventually, and if I have permissions to see everything else, why this is hidden from me?

Something I've noticed lately and it doesn't make much sense for me:

When I open a poll, and don't check the "Display votes publicly", why, as the person who opened the poll, can't I see who've voted to my poll? It doesn't really make sense to make this option "all-or-none", meaning either everybody can see who've voted to my poll or nobody (including admins/moderators who are unable to see this as well).
I agree. It would make sense if they aren't displayed publicly, they would at least be displayed privately to the person who created the poll. And if that's the case, there should also be an option to allow voters to vote anonymously.

I respectfully disagree.

Votes are a private matter and if the setting is set to not show who voted, the voter relies on their vote to remain private.
And this is why it's funny. The opener of the poll can select if they are private votes or not. The people who are voting have no control over it, just the poll opener (anyone, admin or a regular user).
If the poll creator chooses not to show the votes, they aren't shown to anybody, including admins/moderators/ and the poll creator himself/herself.

The opener of the poll can select if they are private votes or not.

This makes perfect sense to me. For example a poll asking if you are voting republican or democratic would normally be set to not show who voted. A poll asking if you are attending an event would be more useful as public. The poll creator should decide this at the time they are creating the poll.

This makes perfect sense to me. For example a poll asking if you are voting republican or democratic would normally be set to not show who voted. A poll asking if you are attending an event would be more useful as public. The poll creator should decide this at the time they are creating the poll.
Sorry, I can't make any sense in this action. People who are voting, don't have any indication if the poll is private or public. They can figure this out only after they've voted to the poll. All the privacy power of the poll is at the poll creator, not even admins/moderators have the power to change to or make this initial decision.

You can't unless the person who opened the poll chooses to do a public poll, then everybody can see it (you'll see a button "View Results").

That button will be there regardless if it's public or not. The number of votes just won't be clickable unless "Display votes publicly" is selected upon creation.

Top Bottom