1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Polls and voters - looking for the logic

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Moshe1010, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

Something I've noticed lately and it doesn't make much sense for me:

When I open a poll, and don't check the "Display votes publicly", why, as the person who opened the poll, can't I see who've voted to my poll? It doesn't really make sense to make this option "all-or-none", meaning either everybody can see who've voted to my poll or nobody (including admins/moderators who are unable to see this as well).

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Why does it not make sense?
    Either the votes are public or they're not.

3. Moshe1010

Because as the opener of the poll, I should still be able to see the voters. They aren't public, but I opened the poll - shouldn't I be able to see who've voted to my poll without letting everybody else seeing it?
    In addition, as a moderator/admin/super admin, shouldn't I be able to see who've voted to a poll? It's my forum eventually, and if I have permissions to see everything else, why this is hidden from me?

4. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of "Display votes publicly"?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Brogan

It shows who voted for which option if they are displayed publicly.

AndyB likes this.
  6. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

I agree. It would make sense if they aren't displayed publicly, they would at least be displayed privately to the person who created the poll. And if that's the case, there should also be an option to allow voters to vote anonymously.

7. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree.

Votes are a private matter and if the setting is set to not show who voted, the voter relies on their vote to remain private.

8. Moshe1010

And this is why it's funny. The opener of the poll can select if they are private votes or not. The people who are voting have no control over it, just the poll opener (anyone, admin or a regular user).
    If the poll creator chooses not to show the votes, they aren't shown to anybody, including admins/moderators/ and the poll creator himself/herself.

9. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

This makes perfect sense to me. For example a poll asking if you are voting republican or democratic would normally be set to not show who voted. A poll asking if you are attending an event would be more useful as public. The poll creator should decide this at the time they are creating the poll.

Amaury likes this.
  10. Moshe1010

Sorry, I can't make any sense in this action. People who are voting, don't have any indication if the poll is private or public. They can figure this out only after they've voted to the poll. All the privacy power of the poll is at the poll creator, not even admins/moderators have the power to change to or make this initial decision.

11. Brogan

That is incorrect.
    It is clearly stated at the bottom of the poll panel.

upload_2014-1-7_16-43-42.png

12. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Private votes should not be seen by anybody, not even the poll creator or the mods/admins. Just the same as members' conversations are private.

Amaury likes this.
  13. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Unless reported, of course.

14. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

How can you tell who has voted?

15. Moshe1010

You can't unless the person who opened the poll chooses to do a public poll, then everybody can see it (you'll see a button "View Results").

wedgar likes this.
  16. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

Thanks!

17. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

That button will be there regardless if it's public or not. The number of votes just won't be clickable unless "Display votes publicly" is selected upon creation.

wedgar likes this.
  18. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

Thank you. That makes sense.