[Poll] What style do you prefer?

What style do you prefer?

• Total voters

Romchik®

When I make up styles for vBulletin, I always tried to avoid unnecessary editing templates. As a result, the style did not look very original, but I had no problems during the upgrade.

What do you think? What is more important - the unique style or fewer problems during the upgrade?

I'm voting for option 3...

A style that has very few modified templates but is unlike the standard theme.

In theory this can be achieved to some extent by using the StyleVar system and by adding to the additional.css file. In practice this or making direct template edits is currently the only way of styling vBulletin because the StyleVar system was never fully implemented.

I'm voting for option 3...

A style that has very few modified templates but is unlike the standard theme.

In theory this can be achieved to some extent by using the StyleVar system and by adding to the additional.css file. In practice this or making direct template edits is currently the only way of styling vBulletin because the StyleVar system was never fully implemented.
Only so much you can do with pure CSS.

To really break out of the default XenForo look requires re-doing a lot of the HTML as well.

Mostly the second, styles that don't deviate from the original XF layout don't really show enough personalisation or customisation for me. On the other hand, just moving something or changing something for the sake of it without it adding to the whole look/feel is not desirable.

I wouldn't really want something that looks clearly like the default style - but having experienced the pain of upgrading I don't want too many problems with future updates either. So I prefer a style which changes the look by using different icons and graphics, and changed CSS, but not too much major surgery by moving things around and making massive template edits.

I wouldn't really want something that looks clearly like the default style - but having experienced the pain of upgrading I don't want too many problems with future updates either. So I prefer a style which changes the look by using different icons and graphics, and changed CSS, but not too much major surgery by moving things around and making massive template edits.

I agree about the pain of upgrades.. sheez lol years of massive upgrades and having to upgrade dozens of premium themes has totally changed the way I work.... layout changes have to be super dooper to be considered for skins I will be selling.

Fortunately with XF the way it was built, and the way designers are doing themes.. you can have a bit of both :) You can do a lot with CSS and only minor Template changes. A little really does go a long way if done right.

To be honest, I'd like to see themes that doesn't make it look... too much Xenforo. I was able to take a bit of code from a MyBB theme and made my previous MyBB theme look like it was a Vbulletin skin. I don't see a problem trying to do that with Xenforo... Make it look different instead of constantly just changing the CSS and say it's YOUR theme.

I think designer should never limit himself with templates editing. But he always should do any template editing in respect to XenForo css and html coding semantics. It's even better to develop your own technique how to make changes in templates that will speed up you work and prevent you form css/html mess after XenForo update.

I like to do as much of my style customization with the style properties/extra.css for upgrading sake but it can only take you so far(at least with my knowledge- I know kier did a vb3 remake with it ;p)

If it's my own personal style I will gut the crap out of the html and I don't mind making the edits each upgrade :)

Top Bottom