Implemented Pokes (have you seen this thread/this post?)

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
poke would be good, I like the idea a lot,

Except for those of us who run sites where customers have support topics.. I can imagine it would get very annoying if someone raised a support topic then immediately poked me about it, I had someone the other day use the "comment" section of my profile to alert me to their support topic a few minutes after they had raised it, coz obviously I couldn't actually see it in the support forum the minute I logged on. :rolleyes:

poke would be nice. I forget to check threads after awhile or do not follow up. poke would be a great idea. :cool:

poke would be good, I like the idea a lot,

Except for those of us who run sites where customers have support topics.. I can imagine it would get very annoying if someone raised a support topic then immediately poked me about it, I had someone the other day use the "comment" section of my profile to alert me to their support topic a few minutes after they had raised it, coz obviously I couldn't actually see it in the support forum the minute I logged on. :rolleyes:

That's what support desks are there for.

I thought about this earlier but thought it might not work out well because of reasons similar to what Dragonfly brought up, but I think usergroup permissions could solve that.

This wouldn't be bad to have.

I don't know, maybe my experience is with entirely differents types of forums than y'all's, but I would fear being "poked" to read the threads I was actively avoiding. Like, "could you please go to this website and vote for me so I can win a trip to Disneyworld." If I just don't respond, they can't do anything about it. If they can poke me... well let's just say, there should be an anti-poking shield of some sort.

I don't know, maybe my experience is with entirely differents types of forums than y'all's, but I would fear being "poked" to read the threads I was actively avoiding. Like, "could you please go to this website and vote for me so I can win a trip to Disneyworld." If I just don't respond, they can't do anything about it. If they can poke me... well let's just say, there should be an anti-poking shield of some sort.

User Block! (or ignore)

Sounds like a good candidate for a addon. Either way I think a way to remedy abuse of it is to only allow your "friends" or "contacts" to suggest a thread be seen by you. Notice i used "suggest" there and not poke. Just seems more relevant.

User Block! (or ignore)

Not practical - I can't block someone just because they're pestering me with their 'vote for me' thread. If I block them, their "poke" won't go through and then I'll have to explain why I'm ignoring them and hurt their feelings. It would be easier to just go to the damn website and vote (or whatever).

Ignore is for people I truly can't get along with.

Not practical - I can't block someone just because they're pestering me with their 'vote for me' thread. If I block them, their "poke" won't go through and then I'll have to explain why I'm ignoring them and hurt their feelings. It would be easier to just go to the damn website and vote (or whatever).

Ignore is for people I truly can't get along with.

Pretend that you voted or whatever?

Pretend that you voted or whatever?

My point being, if I just don't reply to the thread, we can all just pretend that I read the thread and I voted, because nobody's asked me a direct question and I haven't made a direct refusal. If you give someone the tool with which to nag me (with the board's full blessing), now I've either got to post in the thread or refuse to post in the thread -- a lose-lose situation.

And no, I wouldn't just lie for convenience.

Basically, I don't want anyone to take away my right to ignore a thread in peace.

Well, in my situation, I would probably want to have some controls. keep it a one-way communication, or just a "thanks" button to acknowledge it. I expect friend to direct me to interesting posts.

My point being, if I just don't reply to the thread, we can all just pretend that I read the thread and I voted, because nobody's asked me a direct question and I haven't made a direct refusal. If you give someone the tool with which to nag me (with the board's full blessing), now I've either got to post in the thread or refuse to post in the thread -- a lose-lose situation.

And no, I wouldn't just lie for convenience.

Basically, I don't want anyone to take away my right to ignore a thread in peace.
What the heck kinda boards are you on? Sounds more like Facebook.

What the heck kinda boards are you on?

Are you telling me you've never seen a thread that you don't really want to respond to? Vote for me, visit my site, friend me, here are pictures of my bobble-head collection, donate to this cause, sign this petition, write this senator, blahblahblah.... what kind of boards are you on? Include the exact URL, I want to join. :D

Okay, here's an example: British Blades Funny video. Now, normally that's the kind of thread where whoever posted it wouldn't expect a string of replies. It's a video, you watch it, a few people comment; eventually it drifts off the front page -The End.

But if you're the threadstarter and you don't want it to drift off the front page, now you can "poke" people, until they finally (grudgingly perhaps) comment, giving the thread an unnaturally long life and annoying people (well, me) in the process.

I just think it would interfere with the natural ... rhythm (can't think of a better word) of forums. Threads that drift off the front page generally deserve to, and giving someone the means of putting those threads on artifical Life Support is just asking for trouble. It would be about a hundred times worse than someone just bumping the thread, which is already annoying.

But then, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a board member, not a board owner. Board owners tend to be way more entranced with these kinds of toys than board members. Because for one thing, they aren't going to be the ones poked to death.

(And as an aside - nice forum! :) Well-organized and it looks blacksmithy.)

That's what support desks are there for.

I have a support desk - still get support threads.. and PM's and emails, and apparently now comments on my profile lol - it doesn't matter what level of professional support you provide it is never quick enough for some people ;)

Top Bottom