Please help, I have only 1 problem before buying my license!

Jeanz

So I was just about to buy XenForo when I quickly ran the script to see if it would run without any problems on my host. And apparently they have SAFE_MODE set to ON and won't turn it off, because they say it prevents other customers from accessing each others files. But they claim that their servers are set up in a special way so that this won't cause any troubles with image uploads and file ownership. But they can't tell me if XenForo will run without problems on their servers. :(

I don't really know what to do, does anyone know if theres a chance it will still run on their servers?

All they can tell me is that these projects are tested and works on their servers:
  • Serendipity
  • concrete5
  • OsCommerce
  • Wordpress
  • PHP-Fusion
  • Joomla
  • Typo3
  • phpBB
  • Drupal

I think you should consider a new host if you ask me. If you don't mind my asking what is your host charging per month.

I'm using this Danish host https://www.unoeuro.com/ and have been for years, and I've never had problems with them. They are really cheap at around 2$ pr. month for the small Bronze suite that I have. I know it sounds insanely cheap, but it's a great host up until now that I can't use them without the SAFE MODE off. :(

You should find a new provider.

Safe Mode has been phased out from php. Only much older versions support it, so switching host will give you a new version which will add more functionality, speed, and also security.

Not to mention you'll not run into the issues you have been

If they have safe mode on and are relying on that for security, that's not legitimate security. There are ways to bypass safe_mode.

At most they're running PHP 5.3, where this is deprecated (http://www.php.net//manual/en/features.safe-mode.php). PHP 5.4+ doesn't have safe mode any more. If they're running PHP 5.2, then they're actually running a version that isn't supported by the PHP group any more.

I'm using this Danish host https://www.unoeuro.com/ and have been for years, and I've never had problems with them. They are really cheap at around 2$ pr. month for the small Bronze suite that I have. I know it sounds insanely cheap, but it's a great host up until now that I can't use them without the SAFE MODE off. :(
If you're looking for affordable hosting (around your budget), while also being supportive and flexible

Here is my referal link to Hostmantis https://my.hostmantis.com/aff.php?aff=603

If for some reason they're not to your satisfaction, you can always visit webhostingtalk.com to find a new provider. So long as you avoid EIG, you'll fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

Thank you so much for your answers! I just don't know how I should do this. I have a live site (WordPress) I don't want to take down before my new site was ready, since I need to copy all my content from that site over to the new one. My plan was to install XenForo in a subfolder, but if I have to find a new host I would need them to transfer my domains, and if they do that the other site will be shut down before I'm ready. I have a feeling this is a gonna be a mess, I've never tried to change host like this before :(

Thank you so much for your answers! I just don't know how I should do this. I have a live site (WordPress) I don't want to take down before my new site was ready, since I need to copy all my content from that site over to the new one. My plan was to install XenForo in a subfolder, but if I have to find a new host I would need them to transfer my domains, and if they do that the other site will be shut down before I'm ready. I have a feeling this is a gonna be a mess, I've never tried to change host like this before :(
The process is fairly easy one. For virtually no downtime, what you should do is order the new host and configure your site on the new host, then when you're ready, more and import your old site to your new host, then update your dns to match. You'll for a short time have your site in 2 locations as your dns populate, but you'll seemingly appear as never being offline.

The process is fairly easy one. For virtually no downtime, what you should do is order the new host and configure your site on the new host, then when you're ready, more and import your old site to your new host, then update your dns to match. You'll for a short time have your site in 2 locations as your dns populate, but you'll seemingly appear as never being offline.

Oh okay, I will try to order hosting at Hostmantis then :) I've chosen the Starter, but when I get to step 2 (domain options), it seems like they want me to give them a domain name no matter what option I choose here. What should I do? :)

Oh okay, I will try to order hosting at Hostmantis then :) I've chosen the Starter, but when I get to step 2 (domain options), it seems like they want me to give them a domain name no matter what option I choose here. What should I do? :)
Enter your current domain name. That is the one you'll be using.

They will give your a temp url that you can use while you work on your site.

So should I choose "I want to transfer my domain to HostMantis" or "I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain."?
But if I give them my domain name, won't they just start transferring the domain name to their servers now?

Sorry for all my tons of questions, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! :)

So should I choose "I want to transfer my domain to HostMantis" or "I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain."?
But if I give them my domain name, won't they just start transferring the domain name to their servers now?

Sorry for all my tons of questions, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! :)
You should picked, "I will update my nameservers". Because you want to keep your domain name with it's current register.

You should picked, "I will update my nameservers". Because you want to keep your domain name with it's current register.
Thank you! It just looks like they have two options in one, since they have it written like this "I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain.". But I will pick that one :)
Also just to make sure, it's the Linux Hosting I should choose right? :)

@Jeanz
Thank you! It just looks like they have to options in one, since they have it written like this "I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain.". But I will pick that one :)
Also just to make sure, it's the Linux Hosting I should choose right? :)
Yes, Linux hosting will give you all your needed requirements and will be rock solid in stability.

Once you've signed up, they'll e-mail you a lot of details on your new account (you should print this if you can). Save that e-mail as it will include everything you need to work with your site and when you're ready, the information needed to point your domain to them as well.

That will also give you the temp url that you'll be working with. It should look something simular to my temp url which looked like this

PHP:
http://199.16.189.53/~rovzikfz/

@Jeanz

Yes, Linux hosting will give you all your needed requirements and will be rock solid in stability.

Once you've signed up, they'll e-mail you a lot of details on your new account (you should print this if you can). Save that e-mail as it will include everything you need to work with your site and when you're ready, the information needed to point your domain to them as well.

That will also give you the temp url that you'll be working with. It should look something simular to my temp url which looked like this

PHP:
http://199.16.189.53/~rovzikfz/
Thaaaaaaank you! :) I just ordered my new host! However it seems like it's stuck on the paypemt page? I chose PayPal as payment, and the page just keeps loading, nothing else happens. But I have already recieved my login information by email, but I can't pay when the page wont load! :eek:

Thaaaaaaank you! :) I just ordered my new host! However it seems like it's stuck on the paypemt page? I chose PayPal as payment, and the page just keeps loading, nothing else happens. But I have already recieved my login information by email, but I can't pay when the page wont load! :eek:
If I recall correctly, you maybe seeing 2 paypal button on your left side... One is for single payment and the other is subscription payment. Click on the one you wish to do.

If that has changed (they were updating their site), open a ticket with their sale department and explain the issue.

If I recall correctly, you maybe seeing 2 paypal button on your left side... One is for single payment and the other is subscription payment. Click on the one you wish to do.

If that has changed (they were updating their site), open a ticket with their sale department and explain the issue.
Thank you! I figured it out! :) And thank you so much for all of your help! :)

Now I will go buy my XenForo license, and hopefully figure out how to install it without too many problems :D

Top Bottom