Not planned Please disable unfurl as default

AndyB

Please disable the unfurl function as default. I think it's preferable to have normal links as found on most other web sites. Normal links are more concise and they are more recognizable to viewers as links.

What I enter into the editor:

What gets posted with unfurl enabled:

What gets posted with unfurl disabled:

Please Like this post if you agree.

Thank you.

Upvote 7
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If I'm honest, the text you used in the example is literally one of the worst possible examples you could have chosen to highlight why you believe unfurling by default is bad.

If you think about it from a user's perspective; does it not make sense for them to get a brief look at the description of the addon you're recommending?
Ignoring the fact that all your addon descriptions have the same text on top, so it tells people literally nothing, for any other addon they would see a brief introductory text that describes the addon in question.

If you were reading those titles, ignoring the description, you might be wondering "what does 'Mail' do? XenForo already lets me send email." or "what does 'User Tagging' mean?"

Without unfurling, users have to click those links to find out.

With unfurling, they get to instantly see what all of them do at the briefest glance and they can make a decision whether they are actually interested.

The OP offers no explanation as to why it's a bad thing to see additional information to go along with links you post. As a result, if it wasn't already obvious, I strongly disagree with the OP.

Fillip

Unless I'm misunderstanding the suggestion...

...one click, and it's disabled.

But, I can't recall if I had to enable it or not after I upgraded from 2.0--I am thinking I might have.

Nevertheless, with any new forum installation, I scan through each page of the options before I even start test posting in it.

Top Bottom