Please add bitcoin as a payment option for xenforo & xenforo addons

denam

This is 2nd time that I experienced problems when trying to purchase a xenforo addon using paypal. I am starting to dislike paypal because the purchase experience keeps on being negative. The first time it did not specify the receiver's email address correctly and and the currency was also wrong. And the second time paypal asked me to add a credit card even though I have enough funds on my paypal account.

Purchasing and selling products can be so easy when using bitcoin. The merchant would not have any risks associated with the sale. There is no chargeback in bitcoin which means that the customer can not reverse the transaction. The merchant would receive the fiat currency of his choice and would not even have to pay any fees (e.g. bitpay). What is holding you guys back from offering one more secure payment option?

Ahhhh bitcoin... The currency (?) of choice for scammers, dodgy deals and people who fear the chargeback.
I might be wrong, but I don't think the core will support this anytime soon but you might be lucky and get a third party add on.

Bitcoin is accepted by many major e-commerce retailers like Dell, Newegg, Target, Gyft. It's not a scam currency.

We don't have any control over nor involvement with third party add-ons and the payments for them.

It is entirely up to the author how they wish to sell it.

Or do you mean official XenForo add-ons?

It's the number one currency for criminal activity #untraceable

The fact that some people use it for unscrupulous reasons shouldn't mean the entire currency is demonised.

I use it - I find it interesting, I have a VPS acting as an always-on bitcoin node (http://murder.xf-liam.com), and it can be much easier to use than other methods.

My VPS host recently added an offer that those who pay via Bitcoin get 10% of their invoice cost credited to their account (which isn't really relevant, but a nice mention).

It's opinions like these that damage thinks like Bitcoin.

Liam

It's just what I read when I looked into bitcoins; admittedly that was some time ago. It can never be a mainstream currency though let's be honest.

It's just what I read when I looked into bitcoins; admittedly that was some time ago. It can never be a mainstream currency though let's be honest.

It's getting there, You can even use it as currency in store at Home Depot and Target. Home Depot also offers Pay Pal, but Target does not. I think in 5 years it will surpass Paypal as the leading online currency vendor.

I'm happy to accept Bitcoin for any of my addons, but in all my time as a seller I've only had one bitcoin transaction, so it's not exactly a popular choice in the XF community

Hard to blame people though with the ridiculous buyer protection Paypal gives for digital goods :whistle:

Last edited:
I'm happy to accept Bitcoin for any of my addons, but in all my time as a seller I've only had one bitcoin transaction, so it's not exactly a popular choice in the XF community

I've accepted bitcoin myself for a while, but no-one has ever asked me if they can use it to pay, so I agree that it isn't really used amongst XF users.

I receive bitcoin donations for my site, so I can use that to pay for addons. But I have never seen any addon payment processor with bitcoin. I have never asked addon developers to accept bitcoin payment. I simply use what is offered.

Or do you mean official XenForo add-ons?
Yes I also mean Xenforo add-ons. Sellers have practically no risk offering this payment method since they will receive their currency of choice. I am having a bad time with paypal whereas there exist the flawless blockchain technology which is superior to any online payment solution.

It's the number one currency for criminal activity #untraceable
In the 90's I remember people telling me that the internet was only needed for criminal activity. Thank god that I didn't listen to them. :)

I would accept bitcoin but I've never had anyone have an issue with PayPal. It'd actually be nice to not have to worry about chargebacks. To @Alfa1's point, maybe if I offered it as a checkout option then I'd get more interest in people doing it but at the same time, without knowing for sure, and it never coming up, it hardly becomes a priority.

I'm personally looking into integrating BitPay with XPM now, although I don't like their API...

Liam

Top Bottom