playstation 4 (orbis)

pk698

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221819p1.html

so, the rumors are flying about sony's next gen console. the one rumor I don't like is about not being able to play used games (I think there's also a rumor that the next xbox has the anti-used game restriction as well?). no backwards compatibility? that's fine, I can deal with that, but ... not allowing me to play used games? WTF is the logic behind that?

anyone thoughts on this?

I can't see Sony doing that, they'd be handing the Next-Next-Gen battle to Microsoft. More likely its been leaked to see what the reaction is, or more likely, leaked by someone who doesn't like the idea to try and block it from happening by generating the kind of reaction its got.

I can understand developers wanting to limit the used-games market, but the fact is consumers won't go for it. Backwards compatibility is vital as well, especially with the PS3. The architecture of the PS3 appears to lend itself to very easily being scaled up, faster CPU, more SPUs. This would be the quickest and cheapest route for Sony to take as it would build upon the PS3. To chuck all that out and start afresh seems madness.

The graphics gap between PS3 and PS4 will be a lot less than PS2->PS3, so players will want to continue to play the PS3 games they've bought. Plus the fact you can buy PS3 games through the PSN, to not be able to play them on the PS4 would be a deal breaker.

Sony got it right with the PS2, by playing PS1 games it locks in the PS1 owners into more than likely going for the PS2 instead of the XBox. You have an instant library of games you already own to play with - OK, they may not be graphically better or anything, but at least you can play them. By taking away backwards compatibility, you present the customer with a choice, either start again with the PS2 or start with something fresh, the XBox.

The same would apply here. PS3 owners would much prefer to buy a PS4 and have a ready library of games to play whilst the PS4 game library builds up. If they can't, then as a PS3 owner you have a choice. Start fresh with the PS4 OR XBox720.

PS2 backwards compatibility with the PS3 was troublesome & expensive for Sony - if the PS4 is an extension of the PS3 architecture, then this issue goes away as they'll more than likely be compatible anyway due to design.

Time will tell, but given they've gone for PSP compatibility with the Vita, I'd be surprised if they abandoned it with the PS4.

Microsoft is also thinking about going down that same route with used games, rumors on them doing it though started a month or two ago :P. I doubt that Sony or Microsoft will do that though, why loose more money (talking about backwards comparability there). I do see where they come from though with not allowing used games though, they are loosing money there.

This would be the death of the gaming console if they restricted games to a single device. Sony is already losing the ground they had because of how they messed up so poorly with the PS3. I think I only know 1 person who owns a working ps3 .... 1 out of 250 gamers I know.

I would have bought a ps3 myself if it didn't have all the issues they started with and also kept the backward compatibility with ps2. Which the 1st generation ps3 did have, but only for a limited time.

xBox has some hardware issues as well in the beginning, but at least they resolved those issues for free. Sony told a lot of their customer, oh well, to bad... And forced people to purchase again.

If either one of them forced you to be tied into always buying new games, which were linked to the console or the account, both of which could either fail or be revoked... I'd fully expect them to take a huge loss and also expect piracy to go up 800%. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd find black market, custom built, consoles, that ran on private networks... Just to avoid it.

I'll predict both Sony and Microsoft will bring in "restricted to single device" technology.
They've probably already agreed on it behind closed doors.

The main reason why I've got a PS1, PS2 and PS3: backwards compatibility.

Would be shooting themselves in the foot to not be backwards compatible, nor to allow used games, especially as seeing their biggest sellers are sequels to games all made on PS1, and PS2.

The main reason why I've got a PS1, PS2 and PS3: backwards compatibility.

Would be shooting themselves in the foot to not be backwards compatible, nor to allow used games, especially as seeing their biggest sellers are sequels to games all made on PS1, and PS2.
You're so lucky to have a 1st generation ps3 working.

Everything past 1st generation wasn't backward compatible... ie... Did not play ps2 or ps1 games

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221819p1.html

so, the rumors are flying about sony's next gen console. the one rumor I don't like is about not being able to play used games (I think there's also a rumor that the next xbox has the anti-used game restriction as well?). no backwards compatibility? that's fine, I can deal with that, but ... not allowing me to play used games? WTF is the logic behind that?

anyone thoughts on this?
That's why I bootleg.

the one rumor I don't like is about not being able to play used games (I think there's also a rumor that the next xbox has the anti-used game restriction as well?). no backwards compatibility? that's fine, I can deal with that, but ... not allowing me to play used games? WTF is the logic behind that?

The logic is very simple.

Sony and the software developers only make money on new games, when customers resell their used games to other Sony customers, Sony makes nothing from that sale.

Let's say that both you and I are big fans of Ridge Racer. You bought the game for full price from Sony but I waited around until you had finished with the game and sold it on to me for half the price. Then I used it and sold it onto a third person and so on.

Sony and the software developer has only made money from you (the first purchaser) and not from me or any subsequent customers.

This wasn't a big issue before the internet came along with eBay and game swapping sites. Sony and the software developers are losing big bucks and they have been looking for a way to stop this from happening.

My guess is that once super fast broadband is the norm, there will be no more purchasing of games in the old fashioned sense. All software companies will operate online servers with home users paying a subscription to access the playing environment and the games will be played over the cloud.

Xbox Live and PS Online are only the first step to this new gaming future!

Oh, I can completely see the developers point of view on this - but newsflash - 'That's life'.

The same applies to Audio CDs, DVDs, Blu Rays - any type of media at the end of the day. You could look at it from this point of view.

Player A buys your game, completes it and sells it to Player B for 50% less. Player B obviously never wanted to pay full price for your game, so you haven't lost a sale there. However Player B really enjoys it and then buys the sequel when you release it, along with Player A.

So by allowing used games to circulate you actually get a wider audience for the game and it makes Sequels appeal to more people.

If they introduce games locked to one console, then I'm going back to PC gaming, they can go to hell. heh, and I tend to buy new games anyway - its the principle of the thing.

Oh and on the subject of the PS3 - my launch day console lasted until late last year. Far longer than many launch-day 360s....

They is also the fact that any attempt to introduce such controls may well be subject to legal challenge.

That said, if by doing so, they chopped the price of the game in half, I'm sure no-one would give a toss. After all, if they sell more games, they can afford to cut the price, unless its a shameless ploy to make even more money....

Oh, I can completely see the developers point of view on this - but newsflash - 'That's life'.

The same applies to Audio CDs, DVDs, Blu Rays - any type of media at the end of the day. You could look at it from this point of view.

Player A buys your game, completes it and sells it to Player B for 50% less. Player B obviously never wanted to pay full price for your game, so you haven't lost a sale there. However Player B really enjoys it and then buys the sequel when you release it, along with Player A.

So by allowing used games to circulate you actually get a wider audience for the game and it makes Sequels appeal to more people.

If they introduce games locked to one console, then I'm going back to PC gaming, they can go to hell. heh, and I tend to buy new games anyway - its the principle of the thing.

Oh and on the subject of the PS3 - my launch day console lasted until late last year. Far longer than many launch-day 360s....

They is also the fact that any attempt to introduce such controls may well be subject to legal challenge.

That said, if by doing so, they chopped the price of the game in half, I'm sure no-one would give a toss. After all, if they sell more games, they can afford to cut the price, unless its a shameless ploy to make even more money....
Love or hate Playstation, their consoles have always outlasted any of the competition (Cept for older Nintendo and Sega consoles).

I still have working PS1 and PS2 consoles that have never had any issues, whereas I tend to go through 1-2 XBOX and the longest I ever had one last was only a few years.

That's probably such a miniscule part of the market that they dont care about it too much.

Ebook publishers didnt cut the cost of ebooks despite them just being digital files with no printing, paper, factory, ink, retail, transport cost considerations involved. In fact authors are increasingly bypassing publishers and offering ebooks direct from their own websites at a reduced price but they make more than they would from royalties, however that would only work for established authors.

These big companies are just greedy and they always will be. Their greed puts prices so high that people are happy to turn to piracy and then the companies cite piracy as a reason for raising the prices even higher. What would really be revolutionary is for some company to slash games prices to a reasonable level.

This would cut piracy because all the hassle of bricked consoles and installing custom code wouldnt be worth it if the games were reasonable priced in the first place. The only reason there is so much piracy is because of the inflated prices in the first place. It's just a neverending cycle.

What would really be revolutionary is for some company to slash games prices to a reasonable level.

This would cut piracy because all the hassle of bricked consoles and installing custom code wouldnt be worth it if the games were reasonable priced in the first place. The only reason there is so much piracy is because of the inflated prices in the first place. It's just a neverending cycle.
Totally agree. There will always be a core of people who simply want everything for free (try getting free electricity from your supplier - odd how it doesn't work in real life isn't it?)

However, the vast majority are happy to pay for their games and I have no doubt, if a game was priced at a realistic price, then piracy would drop.

The problem is though that games these days cost so much to make, its going to be hard to see how a big publisher would keep their shareholders happy if they chose to chop the price of their games.

What it really needs is someone like Sony to take the lead and start selling games at say an RRP of £29.99 rather than £49.99. After all savvy games companies can always make collectors editions for £49.99 that include crap that noone apart from collectors wants, so the collectors get their tat and everyone else pays a decent price for the game.

However, seeing the price of games on the PSN, I have absolutely no hope in hell that Sony are about to do this. Just thank god you can get Vita games on cards as you can get them 2nd hand, or at the very least, from shops at a discounted price new.

Why Games on the PSN are the same price as in the shops is a prime example of what's wrong with the system. They should be FAR cheaper to buy online, primarily because you can't copy them at all and you can't resell them. But no, corporate greed takes over.

Tell you what, unless the PS4 is blow-me-away-fantastic, I'll probably stop with the PS3. It does all I need it to do and as I don't have a 4K screen, I'm unlikely to need a console that could output to one for the occasional graphically-untaxing game - ala the 1080p output of the PS3. Only a handful of games actually use it, GT5 being the odd exception.

Please do not call the next console PlayStation [insert name here], that's not going to help sales.

Call of Duty 4, Resident Evil 4 are two games that sell really well despite the number.

Well, we know one thing about the PS4, it will have a Bluray drive... ;)

Sony announced (or at least mentioned it) at E3. No other details though.

Top Bottom