Plans to combat spam?

Even with captcha or question verification, the amount of spam is unbelievable. Even with promotions in place to limit spam posts, is Xenforo planning on doing anything to crack down on these spambots at the registration gateway? There is really no way to even find a pattern...other than the ages of the users being similar, their IP addresses are spread across the globe and they use completely different email addresses. I'd hate having to go to a manually moderated system.

Simple questions like what color is the sky or what is two added to three. etc. I'll give this a try. Thanks :)

no good.

Make them almost as hard as a human figuring out an image captcha but easy for humans that are your audience. If you site is nakedskateboarders.com, a good question would be:
Question: What do we wear when we skateboard?
Answer: Nothing, nothing, no clothes, nude, birthday suit, Birthdaysuit, naked, nothing dude, Nothing Dude, NOTHING DUDE,

Question 2: What's our favorite form or transportation?
Answer: skateboard, Skateboard, SKATEBOARD, skate board, Skate Board, sKaTeBoArD, board, road surfboard

etc

100% working. or they are English spammers (not common)

I use 2 questions like the above and the above mentioned addon.

The addon checks against the Stop Forum Spam database before they even get to the Q&A. Before installing sonnb, we were getting some human spam (2 or 3 times) but after installing that addon, nothing. I can see in the Stop Spam Here logs where it catches 5 to 10 new registrations a day on SFS database triggers.

I highly suggest both.

Alright. Thanks for the assistance mate! It was really getting annoying after a while having to check through the memberlist on a daily basis to see a majority of new registrations being spam related.

it looks like the bot makers have started working with xf, as I'm gettign battered from spam profiles, must have had about 100 sign up in the last 48 hours.

I'm going to have to take a look at some of the add-ons listed here until 1.2 is released as we're getting 1-2 dozen human spammers per day; from all over the freagin' place. I've got moderation in place for new users so none of the posts get through, but it's still a PITA ... especially as XF spam cleaner isn't readily available via the moderation queue and doesn't offer the ability to ban IPs/ranges.

Same here, definetly the bad guys are now focusing on XF too to spam the sh... out of us.

Started last night - so far - about 50 new spam profiles and messages in only 4 hours.

Please make the automatic ip ban for ip ranges on banned users a must. Looks like we need this sooner than later.

I've been getting hit, non-stop, over the past 48 hours.

I have about six Q&As, XenUtils and Deny Country all going and, so far, no spammers made it past. I'm not saying it's the cure but it's a good start.

same here... they are creating an account, upload pictures and some profil info, then they talk rusian in a german community :D

any plans on the way?

Top Bottom