XF 2.1 plan B when the migration redirections flop - special landing page

stevenavery

Redirection problems often occur after migrations. The vBulletin redirection add-on is no longer supported, this was a change made fairly recently.

And there does not seem to be any straightforward trouble-shooting tech way to try to resolve the problem, even if the import table looks to have been properly created. (We could look at this more closely!)

My forum is like a research blog.
www.purebibleforum.com

Current Google searches are generally based on the old urls, and give:

==============

Not Found
The requested URL /showthread.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.25 (Debian) Server at www.purebibleforum.com Port 443

==============

Over time, Google would likely catch up to the current forum, but it is unclear how long it would take, and when they would drop the invalid links. In the meantime, this makes Google and other search engines unusable, and this is very frustrating to those trying to use the forum material. Same with links that were placed on other groups and forums. (We are trying a special attempt to handle the internal links within the forum, and I will report the result.)

So the need is for someone skilled with Apache with PHP and whatever is the skill-set to go in there and intercept those misses, and put up either the Xenforo front page, or, better yet, a special landing page that explains that we have redirected from the Google search. And inviting the user to search using the internal forum search (which might be enhanced by an add-on.)

In the best world, the parameters of the search would be passed, more or less, to the internal search, that is getting a bit more sophisticated.

Please contact me if you think this is the type of (paid) project you could do and would like to do!

And feel free to discuss, improve and troubleshoot this idea on this thread as well.

As an aside, I remember we had someone do something on my WordPress business site where they bypassed the normal processes and put up a landing page, specialty, explaining that we were down for the day. (Sometimes there might even be a plug-in for that in WordPress.)

And since folks here would be familiar with Xenforo forum software, that is a big plus for this landing page project.
More likely to lead to additional projects!

The site is on Linode, on a VPS unmanaged server. Access will be fully available.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, I join the discussion of that add-on on p. 11:

The add-on is not supported, and when I tried to use it, it did not work.

Thus, I am looking for a Plan B.

The emphasis has changed to having Google crawl the new site using the site map, which is supposed to take from four days to four weeks. Robots.txt is probably correct from Xenforo. It was easy to have Google verify the new site and to submit the Xenforo site map. If I do some extra stuff with Google Analytics and Google Search Console, it might make it a bit quicker.

I am still interested in whether a landing page for misses is a real possibility. Can you intercept the output and change the page? e.g. If I had posts on forums on Facebook, CARM, etc they will give the "Not Found" type of response even if Google is caught up.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I, too am actively using the vBulletin redirection scripts (version 1.1.5) on my XF 2.1 forum, running on a Linode. Took a bit to get it set up, but XenForo support helped me get things fine-tuned. I did a two-phase migration, starting a fresh XF forum (importing my old vB 4.2.4 forum) at a new hoster (Linode) and new domain.

For reference/configuration I kept my old vB forum (closed for admin access only) available for a few months, with a redirect setup.

Later on I then closed the old vB forum down, canceled the hosting contract (1&1), moved the domain to the new forum's domain holder, and then re-implemented the redirects. As I said, XF support was very helpful in the initial implementation of the redirects, and then on the second implementation once the old forum/domain was closed down.

Have you set up a support ticket with XF?

Examples of my redirects:

Old vB forum thread URL: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564

New XF forum thread URL: https://www.500eboard.co/forums/threads/how-to-5-6-liter-m117-top-end-rebuild.559/

Cheers,
Gerry

Top Bottom