Piracy - The Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I would like to see, and not for me personally, but for devs to be able to see is licensed or not, and if associated, what account they are listed under.

Simple.

Thanks for restating your opinion 10 times now in the same thread and continuing to ignore everyone's privacy concerns addressed for several pages now.

If anyone would like to see the reasoning behind that suggestion (seeing associate or license owner, plus linked), I have it ready now.

If someone has a problem with someone knowing they are considered a licensed member they wouldn't ever post in a customer posting only section.

Adding a flag saying someone is licensed on the other hand is not intrusive and only helps and for that matter no new information is being disclosed and at that there is no reason for xenforo to have to change anything in the ToC.

re your first paragraph; I post in the customer forums, I'm obviously licensed.

re your second: I post in the customer forums, I'm obviously licensed.

I don't know who any of you people are, why should I have to display anything for your benefit. I'm sorry your piracy problems may be an issue but that has nothing to do with me, encode your apps if you're that concerned.

If you think you can ask a xenforo employee to look behind my username and see if I am a customer of their business I'm pretty sure you'll find a clause about xenforo and third parties. You're a third party, you have nothing to do with my business with xenforo. Mind your own.

Controlling your personal information

XenForo Limited will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you security information, product updates, or other information pertaining to XenForo Limited, or your account.

That above is from the XenForo privacy agreement. By "your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission" that means we must Opt in first to both, first show or confirm we are a license holder and a second opt in to display or confirm sub-users of an account. Not doing so, they are distributing our information without our explicit permission.

That above is from the XenForo privacy agreement. By "your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission" that means we must Opt in first to both, first show or confirm we are a license holder and a second opt in to display or confirm sub-users of an account. Not doing so, they are distributing our information without our explicit permission.

Licensed or not licensed does not fall under the scope of PII.

re your first paragraph; I post in the customer forums, I'm obviously licensed.

re your second: I post in the customer forums, I'm obviously licensed.

I don't know who any of you people are, why should I have to display anything for your benefit. I'm sorry your piracy problems may be an issue but that has nothing to do with me, encode your apps if you're that concerned.

If you think you can ask a xenforo employee to look behind my username and see if I am a customer of their business I'm pretty sure you'll find a clause about xenforo and third parties. You're a third party, you have nothing to do with my business with xenforo. Mind your own.
You are already displaying that information when you post in a licensed members section...
TBH I don't care either way...it is not that hard for me to snoop around to find out if you are licensed or not.

My point with that was..by simply even putting a green dot on your userBlock a person wouldn't have to check...but then again I am not against finding out myself as realistically it is not XF's job to tell me anything about their clients...and I absolutely agree with you in that respect.

I also think that if xf gets involved and people take action against one it's customers on their own and it ruins their experience here...it will be talked about like it is xf's fault and not the people who took improper action let's say based on false or misunderstood information.

Can of worms

Correct, But Stew wants the names of all registered sub-users to the account, that does.

So here we have a quandary. While license holders are easy to identify, there is no easy way to associate anyone else with the license holder. While I don't feel this is a privacy issue, it does present a bit of a problem and it's leading down a path I will oppose vehemently. If license holders are unwilling to identify anyone else they've added to their account, the only recourse is to go down the path IPS has taken, and that I do NOT agree with.

On XenForo for users:
Two new users fields =>
"Do you want to allow third party developers to check if you're a licensed member: Yes/No" (Default is "No")
"Do you want to allow third party developers to access the list of your 'Associated forum users': Yes/No" (Default is "No")

Third party developers can choose to only sell members who have activated one of these options, members can refuse and don't buy the addon. Everybody can choose, the free-will is safe. Everybody is happy.

On XenForo for third party developers:
> Access to authorized data from a page of the forum to some third party developers
> Access via an API with authentication (via developer username and password)

On XenForo for users:
Two new users fields =>
"Do you want to allow third party developers to check if you're a licensed member: Yes/No" (Default is "No")
"Do you want to allow third party developers to access the list of your 'Associated forum users': Yes/No" (Default is "No")

Third party developers can choose to only sell members who have activated one of these options, members can refuse and don't buy the addon. Everybody can choose, the free-will is safe. Everybody is happy.

> Access to authorized data from a page of the forum to some third party developers

I like this. Very much.

On XenForo for users:
Two new users fields =>

Sounds good to me. Will be hilarious when none of the privacy advocates can get an addon, though :p

Reactions: Kim
Sounds good to me. Will be hilarious when none of the privacy advocates can get an addon, though :p

This will be another reason why I'll make my resources paid as well as cost rising because releasing free stuff there would be no way of stopping downloads. I think this is a great idea cedric. +1

S......t......r.......e........t........c........h

...... as in showing "personal information".

quote, quote, quote, quote, quote, quote, quote.

Too see if a user is an associate under another user, is not showing "personal information".

On XenForo for users:
Two new users fields =>

Reminder. Great Idea. No info exposed if you don't choose the option and even then if you do choose to enable the option all your displaying is that your verified and associated names.

Reminder. Great Idea. No info exposed if you don't choose the option and even then if you do choose to enable the option all your displaying is that your verified and associated names.

+10000000

/patiently waits for the Privacy Resistance to rear its head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom