Piracy - The Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with a flag on my name saying I am licensed because that is obvious and easy to find out by anyone wanting to take the time....I just don't think if I add someone to my license (which I never have) anyone should know they are attached to me or that they are not the license owner...that does not matter. Until you do something wrong at this place it is my opinion that we are all equal regardless if some people think they are better than others. Splitting people up and categorizing them is an ugly thing and will cause negative actions.

If someone has a problem with someone knowing they are considered a licensed member they wouldn't ever post in a customer posting only section. Adding a flag saying someone is licensed on the other hand is not intrusive and only helps and for that matter no new information is being disclosed and at that there is no reason for xenforo to have to change anything in the ToC.

Personally, I'd like to see an API built by XenForo that third-party developers can use on their web sites. It will allow them to talk to XenForo and confirm whether or not the user is licensed/associated to a user with a license. It won't specify either or. Just 'yes' or 'no'. No personal details shared. Quick and simple.

Just close the thread. So far from my original suggestion now. if you need info or access, contact me.

Personally, I'd like to see an API built by XenForo that third-party developers can use on their web sites. It will allow them to talk to XenForo and confirm whether or not the user is licensed/associated to a user with a license. It won't specify either or. Just 'yes' or 'no'. No personal details shared. Quick and simple.

That would be nice but I suspect this would entail a vast amount of time and work to report back to every request/query sent to xenforo. I think they would need a dedicated member to handle this. I could be wrong though but I know many resource xen sites and dedicated fans site would utilize this service.

How would that work though?

Say you are using this API and I come to your site to buy something...how do you you know that I at your site am a licensed member here. The only way would be to essentially tie in my account here to my account at your site no?

That would be nice but I suspect this would entail a vast amount of time and work to report back to every request/query sent to xenforo. I think they would need a dedicated member to handle this. I could be wrong though but I know many resource xen sites and dedicated fans site would utilize this service.
It will be automated by verifying the information here.
How would that work though?

Say you are using this API and I come to your site to buy something...how do you you know that I at your site am a licensed member here. The only way would be to essentially tie in my account here to my account at your site no?
It should be rather simple. Compare the email address registered here with the email address registered at the third-party site. Once a match is found, it will check the license status (the user group for licensed members) and return yes or no/true or false/1 or 0 to the requesting site, who then uses that to mark the user as verified. It's a one time deal. I believe vBulletin.org uses a similar service to allow people to download addons there.

It should be rather simple. Compare the email address registered here with the email address registered at the third-party site. Once a match is found, it will check the license status (the user group for licensed members) and return yes or no/true or false/1 or 0 to the requesting site, who then uses that to mark the user as verified. It's a one time deal. I believe vBulletin.org uses a similar service to allow people to download addons there.
Giving 3rd party people the ability to know what email I use to log into my customer section here is a bad idea and with the suggestion as it sits...I would have to register at a third party site with the same email. What if a dirtbag sets up a site and uses that api to figure out who you are here and your customer email address and then merrily only has to fish the password.

It should also compare the Paypal email and the name of the buyer as I've noticed a lot of attempts at purchasing products at Xenique generally do not match.

Giving 3rd party people the ability to know what email I use to log into my customer section here is a bad idea and with the suggestion as it sits...I would have to register at a third party site with the same email. What if a dirtbag sets up a site and uses that api to figure out who you are here and your customer email address and then merrily only has to fish the password.

I require customers to PC me on XenForo and I then ask for verification if they're a licensed member or not; it isn't much different.

Everyone knows they should use a different password to protect their data. That's on them. But it can also be done via other methods. For example, require the user to authenticate to XenForo and return the true/false bit. That way, the user can use a different email address to register on the third party site.

I was more leaning towards the fact that you were suggesting the email and matching them and I absolutely do not want to be forced to use my xf email at a 3rd party site who will probably claim no liability when something does go wrong and someone cracks my password (I am not talking about using the same password at every site I am strictly talking about a 3rd party knowing the email address I use for xf.com)

It should also compare the Paypal email and the name of the buyer as I've noticed a lot of attempts at purchasing products at Xenique generally do not match.

I require customers to PC me on XenForo and I then ask for verification if they're a licensed member or not; it isn't much different.

That I understand and it is perfectly sensible...but I am not sure I understand the mechanics of how you guys see this auth working without you getting any more information than you have about me now?

Could someone detail their proposed spec?

XenForo doesn't need any more legal sh*t. For God's sake, just include a licensed member star or something beneth the username already. It neither would slow down piracy nor increase sales.

And as far as private information sharing forums go, that's what private conversations are for. Start a new conversation, invite all paid addon developers and discuss whatever you need to discuss. Open a public thread where you inform future paid addon developers that they can request an invitation to the private conversationn. Problem solved.

I was more leaning towards the fact that you were suggesting the email and matching them and I absolutely do not want to be forced to use my xf email at a 3rd party site who will probably claim no liability when something does go wrong and someone cracks my password (I am not talking about using the same password at every site I am strictly talking about a 3rd party knowing the email address I use for xf.com)

That I understand and it is perfectly sensible...but I am not sure I understand the mechanics of how you guys see this auth working without you getting any more information than you have about me now?

Could someone detail their proposed spec?
It would be the same as jmurrayhead said; all of that information is already stored by most shopping carts anyways.

But it is comparing data against xenforos db then which means you need some way to connect me in a systematic fashion from your site to this site. What I am asking is what is the mechanism proposed to do this. How it is done can make a big difference from considerable to not even an option...as it stands right now...it is not even an option in my mind unless I hear something solid.

But it is comparing data against xenforos db then which means you need some way to connect me in a systematic fashion from your site to this site. What I am asking is what is the mechanism proposed to do this. How it is done can make a big difference from considerable to not even an option...as it stands right now...it is not even an option in my mind unless I hear something solid.

But it can also be done via other methods. For example, require the user to authenticate to XenForo and return the true/false bit. That way, the user can use a different email address to register on the third party site.

Just like vb.org does it. I have no problem with that and doubt many would.

As far as associate users on accounts go why not give them full access to the support and customer forums and no access to download anything. IPB does it this way. Only the license holder can download addons or the software itself.

As far as associate users on accounts go why not give them full access to the support and customer forums and no access to download anything. IPB does it this way. Only the license holder can download addons or the software itself.

Absolutely not. That is the primary reason why I finally kicked IPB to the curb. The role of the associated user is just as important as the purchaser of the license. My alternate is expected to be able to perform maintenance and download upgrades in my absence.

Just like vb.org does it. I have no problem with that and doubt many would.

Most of the time associated accounts are held by those who manage the site, rather than those that own it.

Most of the time associated accounts are held by those who manage the site, rather than those that own it.

Exactly. When we were using IPB, the site owner purchased the software, but I did all the work on the server. IPBs inability to see that this was important to site owners was a huge reason why I finally got disgusted with the company.

All I would like to see, and not for me personally, but for devs to be able to see is licensed or not, and if associated, what account they are listed under.

Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom