Add-on Pinterest "Pin it" button

Pinterest has the concept of pinning an image and a description. The way Pinterest's button API works, is that you specify the URL to the website along with an image to be displayed next to it (these are large images, not just favicons).

You could go with the logo of the site, but then multiple pins from the same site will have the same logo. Typically, if you manually add it, you get to select what image on the site you want to be displayed.

In the thread view, it would automatically pull all of the images on that page to choose from, like it does if you post something on pinterest from amazon.com for example.

What site is that a screen shot from in your first post? I would be interested to see how they have it acting on their site. Thanks!

Playing with the Pinterest options...
Unfortunately neither of them are comparable to a forum thread. In the first example the Pinterest button is specifically linked to a photo of the product being viewed while the second example is linked to a hard-coded image.
... and problem #2 is that only images over a certain size threshold are recognized so if you don't have attachments viewable to guests then those images can't be pinned.

Finding a happy compromise to getting a Pinterest button in XF is proving elusive.

Playing with the Pinterest options...
... and problem #2 is that only images over a certain size threshold are recognized so if you don't have attachments viewable to guests then those images can't be pinned.

Finding a happy compromise to getting a Pinterest button in XF is proving elusive.
Thanks for trying, if we can ever get this working, it would make XF communities more appealing to girls...

http://pinterest.com/developers/api/

Because of the way urls are constructed by account name...it would appear that a user named developers has overridden the api page with a board named api. Now it is returning a 404 error...

this is the cached api page, right now the api is read only is what I am reading.
http://tijn.bo.lt/pinterest-api

I'll check back on this in a week or so, maybe they will have it fixed. Without the full api documented, it is pretty useless to try anything.

On a thread where there are no guest viewable images that are over a certain size (see posts #11 & #12 above), what would be available to be pinned?
No one would use the button in that situation... the button would be like for when someone sees a picture they like, and want to pin it. And people that click through on pinterest would be directed to the thread. This could be huge for traffic.

No one would use the button in that situation... the button would be like for when someone sees a picture they like, and want to pin it. And people that click through on pinterest would be directed to the thread. This could be huge for traffic.
I'm still playing around with it. So far I'm just not happy with the user experience when the scenario in post #12 above happens. From the user's perspective they can select the attached image, pin it, but they get no error message returned to them and, of course, it doesn't show up on their board because the thumbnail that guests can see (and the Pinterest bot) is too small (post #11 above).

I'm still playing around with it. So far I'm just not happy with the user experience when the scenario in post #12 above happens. From the user's perspective they can select the attached image, pin it, but they get no error message returned to them and, of course, it doesn't show up on their board because the thumbnail that guests can see (and the Pinterest bot) is too small (post #11 above).
http://skreened.com the tshirt site just added it and it looks really good and works amazing on there. It does a popup window that lets you pin the image and add a description, then gives you an option to view it on pinterest or return to your site. Looks like its all done with the pinterest API. Thanks for still working on this, I think it could be a major feature!

http://skreened.com the tshirt site just added it and it looks really good and works amazing on there. It does a popup window that lets you pin the image and add a description, then gives you an option to view it on pinterest or return to your site. Looks like its all done with the pinterest API. Thanks for still working on this, I think it could be a major feature!
They've just added a badge like I linked to above.
The popup is part of pinterest, you'll get the same thing if you try to "pin" something from your browser.

This really isn't hard to add by any means, the real issue is making sure the images are viewable to guest and of the correct size or larger.

I've been playing around with pinterest on a few sites, I'm considering adding the button to my gen forum. We have a large female userbase and tons of images.

*Ah I see what you guys are saying with the image it's trying to pull..
There has to be a way, sites wouldn't setup up 100's of 1,000's of pinterest buttons/images/badges

Also how can I show full size attachments to guest?
When I try to click on one that the guest usersgroup can see, it asked to login. eg... here
They show full size to users logged in view the thread, I'd like them to show full size to guest too.
Thx

Top Bottom