Add-on Pinterest "Pin it" button

Can anybody interested in this try this experiment to see if you are getting the same results...

• Turn on "View attachments to posts:" for your Unregistered user group. That way everybody should have access to view (aka: download) any attachments.
  • Install the Pinterest bookmark option ( http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/ <-- Follow the instructions at the top for the "Pin It Button")
  • Go to your site and attach a large image file.
    • Specify to show the "Full Image" in your post.
    • Save thread.
  • Verify the full image is viewable to guests by logging out and viewing the new thread.
    • You should also be able to copy the URL to the image and then paste it into your browser.
Now the fun part... :mad:
  • While viewing the thread as a guest click on the "Pin It" bookmark that you installed.
  • Do you get an error message that no pinnable images are found?
  • Now go directly to Pinterest.com and select the "Add" option.
    • Select the option to "Add a pin"
    • Enter the URL to the attached image in your post.
  • ... and it works that way though! :confused:
Thoughts from anybody on why it is behaving differently when viewed inline versus manually giving it the full URL?

(Don't forget, when you are don experimenting to change your usergroup permissions back to what you had before.)

Thoughts from anybody on why it is behaving differently when viewed inline versus manually giving it the full URL?
... and it turns out that the behavior is different using Chrome (my default browser), Firefox, and IE. :X3:

Hmmm I always use Chrome... hopefully if you release something it will be compatible! :D
Have you tried the above experiment to see if you get the same results with your instance of Chrome?

My results so far of the above experiment resulted in...
  • Chrome = Error message that no images nor videos are found
  • Firefox = Working as expected
  • IE = No error message but just a white screen shown from the Pin It pop-up with no thumbnails available to select from.

Only time will tell if it's a fad or not though current traffic levels place it 3rd behind Facebook and Twitter and ahead of Tumblr and LinkedIn.

I got the error when using it on this forum page, so it obviously didn't work for avatars or signatures, but it did work on this shirt store page: http://skreened.com/oldrow
It is working on that site because they are generating a Pin It button uniquely for the individual image. For an environment like forums where images could be either embedded or attached it would be a coders headache trying to do the same thing. The answer is to use the javascript that is coming from the generic bookmark button and have the user select which image to pin. Unfortunately what I'm coming across is other people frustrated also where sometimes the script works, sometimes it doesn't, in particular with Chrome and IE. The quest goes on...

It is working on that site because they are generating a Pin It button uniquely for the individual image. For an environment like forums where images could be either embedded or attached it would be a coders headache trying to do the same thing. The answer is to use the javascript that is coming from the generic bookmark button and have the user select which image to pin. Unfortunately what I'm coming across is other people frustrated also where sometimes the script works, sometimes it doesn't, in particular with Chrome and IE. The quest goes on...
It works on this blogger blog that has lots of pictures on the main page... http://thelovelist.net/
Also on Skreened, I didn't use the pin it button on their site, I used the chrome plugin and it pulled up many images from that page, not just one.

... I used the chrome plugin.
Which, unless there is a newer version, is nothing more than a shortcut to the same javascript that the bookmark uses. As the experiment I posted earlier shows, the problem is unique to Chrome. Now whether the problem is "Chrome + the Pinterest javascript" or "Chrome + XF's show thread code" or "Chrome + the Pinterest javascript + XF's show thread code" is what needs to be worked out yet but Chrome is definitely the common denominator.

We have a template modification that seems to work, we are working on turning it into an add-on!
Did you take into account the guest permissions issue? ;) The solution I ended up going with on my sites was to a two-step approach; a template plugin to display the Pinterest button in the 'Share This Page' section which triggers the remote Pinterest JS file but then also had Ragtek code something for me to handle the permissions issue. Doing a template edit alone to trigger the JS will only work for remotely hosted images or if you have guests enabled to view attachments.

Only reason I haven't asked others to try it out yet is because I'm not happy with the results when hitting the button on forum index page in the sidebar. I'm thinking it'd be better to point to an explicitly specified image (sort of a site 'poster' image) for when people want to pin a generic link to the forum index instead of an image in a thread.

Which, unless there is a newer version, is nothing more than a shortcut to the same javascript that the bookmark uses. As the experiment I posted earlier shows, the problem is unique to Chrome. Now whether the problem is "Chrome + the Pinterest javascript" or "Chrome + XF's show thread code" or "Chrome + the Pinterest javascript + XF's show thread code" is what needs to be worked out yet but Chrome is definitely the common denominator.
In follow-up to the Chrome issue.... I bugged the heck out of the Pinterest support team and one of their techs got back to me. One of their JS relase updates took care of it.

Top Bottom