XF 1.4 Picture just vanished

rwm1962

We just opend our forum on XF on Friday. All's going well but something's happened this morning that's made me a bit nervous as I can't see what's behind it.

A new members posts with a picture. I assume it's uploaded but could be 3rd party hosted.

Now the image is gone. No broken image path marker, no edit by user or staff. Nothing in the mod or admin logs. Nothing in ACP image browser & no trace of an attachment within the post - bbcode etc when in edit view.

How do I track down what happened please?

Our site is reliant on images & if random images just vanish it's a big problem.

There could be various reasons why the image disappeared:
  • hosted image that is no longer available
  • user edited the post within the first 5 minutes - edits in this time don't show with the "last edited" text at the bottom of the post.
  • a staff member did edit the post but chose to edit it silently

You're going to need to give more details than you have.
  • Have you asked the user how they posted the image (upload, embed)?
  • Have you checked with them that they didn't edit the post?
  • Have you confirmed with all staff that they didn't edit the post?
  • Have you checked to see if there is a post history (which would show below the post if it has been edited)?
  • When was the post made, and when did you see the post with the image?
  • When did you notice that the post no longer had the image?

Unless there is an add-on involved, I can't think of a reason why the post content would change without some sort of history or record of the post being edited.

Assuming you have post edit history enabled, that is:

upload_2015-7-13_9-47-20.webp

You're going to need to give more details than you have.
  • Have you asked the user how they posted the image (upload, embed)?
  • Have you checked with them that they didn't edit the post?
  • Have you confirmed with all staff that they didn't edit the post?
  • Have you checked to see if there is a post history (which would show below the post if it has been edited)?
  • When was the post made, and when did you see the post with the image?
  • When did you notice that the post no longer had the image?

I haven't asked them. If it was 3rd party & deleted I'd expect to see broken image placeholder & evidence of image path & bbcode in their post. They didn't edit the post. The image was there when I replied an hour after they posted. Their edit time had expired by then. The post was made at 5:12am. I saw the picture & responded to the post at 6:55am & noticed it gone at c9:15am. I'd expect staff edits to be in the ACP logs even if they edited silently.

Unless there is an add-on involved, I can't think of a reason why the post content would change without some sort of history or record of the post being edited.

Assuming you have post edit history enabled, that is:

I have that enabled & have used it. Set to 60 days.

Capture.webp

In a post but the node uses Thread Gallery by Waindigo & Thumbnails by Waindigo & we use BD Widget framework & have 2 recent thread widgets, one calling from nodes with this feature & one calling from nodes without. 'Gallery' is just terminology our members are familiar with from our Fusionbb forum where these add-on's functionality was core. These add-ons just manipulate the index page of the selected nodes & options to require an image to be added.

In no way is this in any way like a standalone media gallery.

We've been running a test site for 12 months & not seen this issue.

Classic Camp Stoves

Our remaining FBB site:
Forum Index - Classic Pressure Lamps - The online resource for the collector & enthusiast

Thanks,
I can rule out the OP as the editor as edit time expired & the 2 mods would have no reason to edit as there was nothing wrong with the post but I will ask them.

Would there be any trace clues in the DB?

Thanks. This is very strange. It seems to be just me that can't see the picture via my laptop. I was on a PC when I replied to the post. I can see all other pics & the attach code in edit view. Nothing with this one. I've had confirmation other folk can see & I can see it via phone & in edit mode via phone can see the ATTACH detail.

Seems I'm being blocked on my laptop but just for this image & the attach code.

Mystery solved. I can't see the attach code on my phone - I was looking at the edit view of wrong thread. I can see the image in edit mode. It's bloody Photobucket! That must be blocked at my current IP.

Top Bottom