Physical Book vs E-Books

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Real books cannot be even compared with ebooks.
Reading ebooks will often cause you to lose focus and your eyes get tired much quicker. I usually lose focus with the mouse pointer trying to select keywords or just by navigating through eboook bookmarks

On the other hand (as Floris put it), nothing beats the feeling of a real book and the memories of how you got that book.

Nothing at all beats the feel of a real book, and the pride of owning it... collectors editions of ebooks would just be impossible, but 1st editions of a physical book 100% possible.

However I totally see the benefits of an e-book too especially on a device like the Kindle that doesn't hurt your eyes etc because of the e-ink... Not having to flick actual pages and the fact you can have 3000+ books in the space of about a 10th of one of my books is amazing...

Really though I prefer physical books but would read ebooks (well I do from time to time)... and probably would read one more if I had a kindle esc devise.

If you go on holiday far simpler to take an ebook reader with you than loads of books, if you're like me and not distracted I can finish a big book in a few hours.

Real books cannot be even compared with ebooks.
Reading ebooks will often cause you to lose focus and your eyes get tired much quicker. I usually lose focus with the mouse pointer trying to select keywords or just by navigating through eboook bookmarks

On the other hand (as Floris put it), nothing beats the feeling of a real book and the memories of how you got that book.
A lot of people do prefer e-books however, so they are comparable. Also, if you try using something like the Kindle or a tablet, your eyes won't be as tired (I got my mom a Kindle a year ago, and she's been using it lately more and more, because she has problems with her eyes due to one of her retina detaching last year).

Nothing at all beats the feel of a real book, and the pride of owning it... collectors editions of ebooks would just be impossible, but 1st editions of a physical book 100% possible.

However I totally see the benefits of an e-book too especially on a device like the Kindle that doesn't hurt your eyes etc because of the e-ink... Not having to flick actual pages and the fact you can have 3000+ books in the space of about a 10th of one of my books is amazing...

Really though I prefer physical books but would read ebooks (well I do from time to time)... and probably would read one more if I had a kindle esc devise.

Thats my stance on it as well; I only use my tablet or netbook to read when I'm traveling, though having used a Kindle, I might see how that works for non-technical books at some point.

You see a bookshelf and think it's a waste of space.
I see a bookshelf and see something to be proud of.

There's nothing quite like the smell of the pages as you open them up for the first time. It's like going to an old comic book shop and being in the environment: all the senses that just make it what it is.

Plus books don't need to be recharged.

Considering I only ever read one book at a time, I don't see the need to buy an expensive electronic device to do the same thing. So what if I can carry a few hundred books electronically? I only read one at a time, and after I'm done I don't touch it again for a number of years until I feel like picking it up again, usually when it's a series and the next book is coming out and I want to refresh my memory.

Considering I only ever read one book at a time, I don't see the need to buy an expensive electronic device to do the same thing. So what if I can carry a few hundred books electronically? I only read one at a time, and after I'm done I don't touch it again for a number of years until I feel like picking it up again, usually when it's a series and the next book is coming out and I want to refresh my memory.

I like to pay for the property - the book
And I dislike paying for a license, and not own it.

While I'll admit that physical copies are preferred, I absolutely love my Kindle (it has become my primary device for reading).

First off, I'm not sure how many of you have really used e-ink displays before. Once the novelty wears off, you forget that you're not reading a paper book. I've read on computers and laptops before- the Kindle blows it away. I read quite quickly, and I read a lot of large books. An e-reader is much smaller and lighter than most of my books. I used to hate being on the last 100 pages of a book- I'd either need to carry two books with me or get stuck with nothing left to read. Now it's all on one device. The facts that I can make the font size as small as I want and that the device saves my spot are icing on the cake.

So yeah. Real books are awesome. But a good e-reader is well worth the investment.

Just got an iPad which I'm glued to at the moment. Better than I ever expected. Not read anything on it yet though so I'm sure pretty soon I will know if it's replacing my extensive bookshelf.

Nothing can beat Physical books IMO, they are so much more comfortable, hurt my eyes less and I can read them for longer without losing focus.

Top Bottom