XF 1.5 PHPNuke to Xenforo

emcvay

I recently bought xenforo to upgrade my aging (14 year old) phpnuke site which is about v8.2 now with phpbb2.x and hired someone to do the conversion. However, after a few days of working on the issue they told me they couldn't migrate a phpnuke site to xenforo! Needless to say I wasn't happy with them but I believe they are wrong.

Anyone here done a migration from phpNuke to xenforo?

Thanks!
Erik

I have done 1 import from phpNuke (not sure what version as it is going back a few years), and it wasn't fun to say the least.

Did you hire elsewhere? There are a couple people here on XenForo who would be capable of handling it.

I have recently done a conversion and it was very challenging, but not impossible. If you've specifics I might be able to point you and be of some help but if you're looking for someone to do the migration you may want to send me a PM and we can talk about it.

I recently bought xenforo to upgrade my aging (14 year old) phpnuke site which is about v8.2 now with phpbb2.x and hired someone to do the conversion. However, after a few days of working on the issue they told me they couldn't migrate a phpnuke site to xenforo! Needless to say I wasn't happy with them but I believe they are wrong.

Anyone here done a migration from phpNuke to xenforo?

Thanks!
Erik

You're talking about upgrading the phpbb2.x install that's associated with your phpnuke site to Xenforo, I assume, not the phpnuke site itself.

You'd need to convert that phpbb2.x forum to phpbb.3.x first.
https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/phpbb/phpbb2_to_phpbb3.htm
And then use the Xenforo importing system to get from phpbb3.x to Xenforo:
https://xenforo.com/help/importing/

That's how I'd do it. :)

Thanks all. Cabbage Tree refunded me and said "too complicated". And yes I was hoping to migrate all of the phpnuke site over not knowing that xenforo (which I'd just paid a full$450 for) wasn't really compatible. :( It was there advice to go that way, I did a little research on and it seemed xenforo was a good platform and well supported. Now I have the license and no migration. I could use help.

Because the forum is embedded in the CMS of phpnuke I am not certain about converting the phpbb2 to 3 but perhaps I'll have to tackle that first. At least I pruned the database down ;)

Thanks -- found those links previously but they always lead no where. phpnuke is dying it seems and all the old good links (like the above) usually end no where or back at the phpnuke.org main page.

Personally I don't think you'll ever be able to export the posts themselves into Xenforo from your phpnuke site properly. Best to move it out of the way to a directory so you can get your new forum going (and importing the phpbb3.x forum into it) and then create xenforo pages and re-post any important articles from the old phphnuke site into that you wish to hang onto. Right off the old site, to the new forum, manually, one by one. You can forget about the nested comments to them.

In another lifetime I did a lot of work with postnuke with PNphpbb forum addons and have converted plenty of forums away from phpbb. I'm not opening up an offer here for you, just letting you know that I'm not just guessing at your way forward here at all. I've been thru this many times.

Your nuke site should ultimately be nuked, it's time. IMHO. :)

I'd be happy with the above. Heck a clean and taylored install of the xenforo software, imported posts from the forum (and users) and I can migrate the rest except one small part which would need migrating somehow -- the practice rankings tool. My site dartplayer.net (actually it's other name sewa-darts.com) was in the top 150k of the world at one time on Alexa but is now about 6 million. Anyway, hoping I can find someone who can assist.
Thanks

Looking at your site brings back many memories. (y)

I just googled Infopro+PostNuke and took a quick peek over my shoulder. It's been a looong time since I touched a nuke site.

Looking at your site brings back many memories. (y)

I just googled Infopro+PostNuke and took a quick peek over my shoulder. It's been a looong time since I touched a nuke site.

lol, yeah the phpNuke days were so hyped with the whole CMS scene. I even remember seeing this on the AvantGo browser on my "smartphone" with PalmOS. Man I miss those days :)

@emcvay just sent you a PM.

Top Bottom