PHPBB3 again

Steve Brown

OK, I've been preparing to move over to xen from a phpbb 3 board. The board has approx 200,000 posts and around 23,000 members currently.

I've followed the suggestion of doing this via impex however I have a number of questions relating to the best way to do this as well as questions regarding some of the ways to implement features I currently have but seem to be lacking with xen.

I was hoping to move everything over in August but having played around a bit and done a test import I'm a bit worried that without V1.1 I'm going to lack a lot of functionality and alienate a fair number of users and advertisers. Anyway, the questions...

1. On moving over the user list all banned users / email addresses are not imported and become valid users again - is there a way to combat this without having to do them all manually.

2. I appreciate passwords cannot be moved over, what's the best way to get users to change them - is there an option to mass email users with their temporary passwords to get them to change? Is this going to be more of a problem because of going via impex?

3. Is there anyway to move the forum permissions over or is it best to restart this from scratch?

I'm sure I'll have a load more questions as I go along but any help would be greatly appreciated. Part of me is thinking I may be better waiting until 1.1 and hoping for a dedicated phpbb importer - the impex stage seems to be causing more problems than anything else and seems a lot more flaky than the stage of importing from there into xen.

Many thanks

Steve

We've had to manually fix a lot of posts that hang a phpBB2-3 conversion and even so, it takes a very long time for such a big board, only to have to do it again from phpBB3 to XF... so it'd be great if there was an option to go straight to XF. Obviously with a board this size we'd like as little downtime as possible.

Top Bottom