PhpBB to XenForo

Hi there,

I am planning to move my community from PhpBB to XenForo by 1st December 2011.
I've been in contact with XenFan guys who are known to move PhpBB to vB to XF fantastically cleaning the unnecessary code as well!
The issue with their methodology is the passwords don't move and the attachments are doubtfull!

I recently heard that Mike is developing a PhpBB importer.
My question is will the importer be able to move passwords and attachments?

I don't mind paying $49 to XenFan guys but if the Mike's importer is anyhow better, I wanna wait for it.

Awaiting response..

Regards,
Umer

Is this converter actually done? As in, can I purchase a license right now and effectively/efficiently convert from phpBB3.0.9 to xF?

Also, what, if anything, is lost in the conversion process?

The phpBB importer is available in 1.1.

These are the steps which show what is imported.

xenforo-1-1-phpbb-3-import-png.22072

.... ^ ....

So buy a license or two, convert from phpBB and get a better, more modern, community!

I've actually converted from MyBB --> phpBB --> Hopefully to xF

MyBB was great but didn't offer the CMS solution I wanted that I'll hopefully get from XenPorta (and eventually a built in solution).

@Brogan
Thanks man. This really puts my mind at ease. The fact that it's built in and not a 3rd party addon makes me feel better as well.

Hope to see you guys as a paying member soon!

Hi All,
This is a legit Presales Question, so please understand the requirements:

1. I see a picture above which is a demonstration of the conversion tool within XF to be able to convert phpbb3.x forums without problems (correct?)

If above statement is correct, can someone please clarify for me the detail I am missing, as I cannot find answers to these questions:

a: I have over 3Gb of attached files (post/thread attachments) which need to successfully port without error. I have already a VB license which I have not used, due to it's lack of support for phpbb conversion. Is the XF converter able to handle this number of files?

b: most all members have a custom avatar, and these failed to successfully import correctly in VB. Can someone please clarify if this function works as stated? I have a board of approx 3.5K members, most all of them have their own custom av.

c: mass email function / admin issued emails. The Phpbb has issues with sending mass emails to users, particularly when we go through software update / scheduled maintenance windows, and some emails do not get sent. in phpbb this generates an error (or number of errors). How stable is the mail function within XF? I find that phpbb is not particularly stable - or rather it can have moments where it's behaviour is completely sporadic, and our host has investigated this a number of times and found no issues from their side…. so just querying that.

d: 'event' and 'calendar' functions are not integrated into XF, but are a plugin, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, conversion tool can convert phpBB to XF without any issues.

Attachments: yes, it can. I've converted forum with a lot of large attachments without any problems.

Avatars: avatars will be converted, but they will be scaled down if they are too large. Users might want to change their avatars after conversion.

Mass mail: haven't used it, so can't answer that.

Calendar: correct. See xenAtendo add-on.

Top Bottom