Fixed phpBB 3.3 conversation start option incorrect (possible password hash issue?)

We've fixed the issue with everyone vs members but still curious about the password issue.

Was this "real old forum" an old version of phpBB or did you import some other forum software into phpBB?

It was imported from Phorum 5.2 ro phpBB 3.x and the password still worked. It was importing from phpBB 3.2 to Xenforo 2.x where password didn't work anymore

But strange thing is .......

I did log in my account for first time on Xenforo with the same password I had on phpBB then I used the temporary administrator account created during Xenforo installation to make my oringal account a Super Admin and I guess that where all member password when bonkers because I asked the other administrators to sign in their account so I could make them Super Admin on Xenforo. They couldn't sign in with the password they had on phpBB. I had to reset it for them.

As far as I understand it, when you imported from Phorum that may well have allowed the existing Phorum passwords to work in phpBB, but they would very likely be in a different format to the passwords that phpBB.

However, phpBB does have a similar authentication system to us in that whenever a user logs in for the first time in phpBB it would attempt to convert the authentication data to their own format (if different).

So as far as we can tell, the only people who may not have had a properly working password would be anyone who hadn't yet logged into phpBB since the import from Phorum.

Is that possible or does it appear to be wider spread? And are you certain it wasn't just a case of genuine forgotten passwords?

As far as I understand it, when you imported from Phorum that may well have allowed the existing Phorum passwords to work in phpBB, but they would very likely be in a different format to the passwords that phpBB.

However, phpBB does have a similar authentication system to us in that whenever a user logs in for the first time in phpBB it would attempt to convert the authentication data to their own format (if different).

So as far as we can tell, the only people who may not have had a properly working password would be anyone who hadn't yet logged into phpBB since the import from Phorum.

Is that possible or does it appear to be wider spread? And are you certain it wasn't just a case of genuine forgotten passwords?

I think you may be spot on about those who haven't logged on phpBB before it was imported over to Xenforo. I noticed all those support desk tickets are coming from members who haven't been on for some time until I sent out an announcement about the new forum upgrade and they came back finding out their old password didn't work for them. Many of them sworn they never change password and some admitted they use same password on many other forums.

As far we are concerned, most all members are back on now and happily using the new forum. We couldn't have picked a better forum to upgrade to and we are happy with it so I doubt we will ever change forum again in our lifetime and stick with Xenforo.

Top Bottom