Fixed phpBB 3.3 conversation start option incorrect (possible password hash issue?)

TechBill

Our new forum been running for several days now and the super admin noticed that we are getting no message from regular users until one of them showed up a screenshot that he get a pop up box "You cannot start a conversation (super admin username)

I checked all permission setting and all users is a registered group with conversation permission to yes

What am I doing wrong? Please advise

it look like all admin and moderator conversation privacy default at nobody can have conversation with them. Is there a way to change to ti member only as the default because at my age I will forget to remind new moderator to change their settings when I create an account for them

I think I know why this is happening.

It also happening to the registered members and their value was switched to "Nobody"

What happening is we moved from a old forum to a new forum which is the Xenforo. For some reason password did not get imported over correctly so member are unable to log in using the old forum password. The administrator been going to the user page to help them reset thier password.

When administrator saved the new user password, it also change the "Start conversation with you" from members to All visitors to nobody for some reason. Now we are having to go back and change those all back to members .

Is it a bug?

Did you import directly into XF 2.1 using our Importers add-on or did you import into XF 1.5 and then upgrade?

I imported directly to 2.1 using your addon importer.

When I view the user log .. it shows every time I (as admin) change the user password that was imported from old forum to new forum, it would change the password but it also change the "Start conversation with you" setting to Nobody.

I had to do a lot of support ticket changing password because the password didn't import over but strangely my password worked when I logged in after the import. Every regular user did not work so those who never updated their email address on old forum or did not know how to do a password recovery, they had to submit a support ticket for us to update email and change password for them to get back in on the new xenforo

@Chris D

I think the importer when it imported my users, it set all the allow_send_personal_converstation to "everybody" not members and "everybody" isn't an option for the that setting so whenever we make an update to the member account ie password update it change and save it as "nobody"

I think I can do a SQL command to swap it all over to members .. I will test it on my beta server before doing it on production server

Just wanted to let you know what I discovered today ..

Welp .. need help on this one ... anyone know the SQL command to change all the allow_send_personal_conversation value to members? I am struggling on this one

Got it ... I think ..

UPDATE xf_user_privacy
SET allow_send_personal_conversation = 'members'
WHERE allow_send_personal_conversation = 'everyone'

I concur, we’ll need to fix that.

I think the password issue needs more investigation though. I’m fairly sure we’re doing it the same way as we’ve always done but I note you said you imported from phpBB 3.3.

Do you have any insight as to whether their password hashing scheme has changed in that version? I don’t believe it’s a version we tested. I wasn’t even aware it was out yet 🙂

I concur, we’ll need to fix that.

I think the password issue needs more investigation though. I’m fairly sure we’re doing it the same way as we’ve always done but I note you said you imported from phpBB 3.3.

Do you have any insight as to whether their password hashing scheme has changed in that version? I don’t believe it’s a version we tested. I wasn’t even aware it was out yet 🙂

My bad .. it was 3.2 not 3.3 I checked again. sorry

I was coming from a real old forum to phpbb 3 then later upgrade it to 3.2 finally went with XF 2.1 and I am loving it now...

Thanks for the great forum!

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XFI release (1.3.1).

Change log:
When importing users ensure the allow_send_personal_conversation and allow_post_profile options cannot be imported with a value of everyone as it is not valid.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

I was coming from a real old forum
We've fixed the issue with everyone vs members but still curious about the password issue.

Was this "real old forum" an old version of phpBB or did you import some other forum software into phpBB?

Top Bottom