XF 2.2 PHP 8 is not yet possible, site blanc

Abraham54

PHP 8 is not yet possible, site blanc

XF2.2.2 with standaard ,htaccess - errorlog server:

[Thu Dec 03 13:11:09.268344 2020] [lsapi:error] [pid 5256:tid 139938464810752] [client 66.249.66.71:42617] [host www.piepcomp.nl] Backend fatal error: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysqli_init() in /home/t46315p45296/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php:152\nStack trace:\n#0 /home/t46315p45296/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(28): XF\\Db\\Mysqli\\Adapter->makeConnection(Array)\n#1 /home/t46315p45296/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/src/XF/Error.php(85): XF\\Db\\Mysqli\\Adapter->getConnection()\n#2 /home/t46315p45296/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/src/XF/App.php(2311): XF\\Error->logException(Object(ErrorException), true, '')\n#3 /home/t46315p45296/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/src/XF.php(236): XF\\App->logException(Object(ErrorException), true)\n#4 [internal function]: XF::handleFatalError()\n#5 {main}\n thrown in /home/t46315p45296/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php on line 152\n

Note: t46315p45296 is not existing!

The error suggests mysqli is missing. Your screenshot suggests it shouldn't be. This may be a more fundamental issue with the server or panel software.

Either way that is an issue that must be resolved before you can use XenForo.

We're not actually recommending customers upgrade to PHP 8.0 yet. It has been released only a week ago and there may be a number of fixes we still need to make in XenForo before it is ready. There may also be bugs in PHP 8.0 that may not get fixed until a future version.

That's true but this stability and compatibility with the newly released PHP 8 may suggest otherwise, in my mind.
And as you can see some users tried to upgragde to PHP 8.

Well, it doesn't. It just says that we improved stability and compatibility, which we did, and "we look forward to supporting [PHP 8.0] fully in future", suggesting that it may not currently be fully supported.

Even so, PHP being built without MySQL support isn't something we have any control over.

Besides all of this, isn't it just common sense? Why would anyone want to risk upgrading core server software on a production server without fully testing for compatibility or without a reasonable period of waiting to ensure any kinks in the new version have been ironed out?

Even when we've caught any compatibility issues in XF, there's nothing to suggest that there won't be add-ons that have breaking compatibility issues.

I understand...
But maybe you have a responsability somewhere with your customers : if some of your customers cross the road without looking and get run over, do you just have to say "they lack common sense" or maybe it's better to think that they actually lack common sense but as they are my customers I'll put a sign: "look before crossing".
Sorry for the off-topic but i think it's important and as I do not have much common sense in this matter I am only saved because my host does not offer the upgrade to PHP 8.

I understand...
But maybe you have a responsability somewhere with your customers : if some of your customers cross the road without looking and get run over, do you just have to say "they lack common sense" or maybe it's better to think that they actually lack common sense but as they are my customers I'll put a sign: "look before crossing".
Sorry for the off-topic but i think it's important and as I do not have much common sense in this matter I am only saved because my host does not offer the upgrade to PHP 8.
Where is the problem? XenForo does not currently state to support PHP 8 (PHP 7.4 is currently state of the art) and if users use PHP8 on their own they are responsible for it.

Top Bottom