XF 2.2 PHP 8.0.18 creating site breaking errors, anyone else confirm?

bzcomputers

My server automatically upgraded to latest PHP 8.0.18 about 2 hours ago and ever since it has been an onslaught of errors. A lot of them just PHP warnings related to add-ons, which appear to be coming from a different level of error/warning reporting on PHP 8.0.18. But there are also some styling/css erors that are making XenForo unusable for users.

Had to revert back to PHP 7.4.29 - site works fine and no errors or warnings.

xf-errors3.jpg

You didn't mention what version of XenForo you have running. There have been various improvements on PHP 8 with XF over the last few versions.

What version of XF is that?

For Addons, you would need to confirm with the author(s) about compatibility with PHP 8.x.x -- that's not going to a XF specific issue.

So the error was still happening even with the add-on disabled and no custom code related to it in the extra.less template?

It appears that it could of just been a delay/cache of config.php. I don't think all add-ons were actually disabled when the errors were still occurring. I just had never needed to disable add-ons through config.php before and wasn't expecting the delay.

Technically disabling listeners is not the same as disabling add-ons.

It should really only be done to recover from a disaster which renders you unable to access the admin control panel.

Disabling listeners prevents code from executing from add-ons but template modifications and pre-compiled templates may still execute problematic code as was likely the case here.

Also disabling listeners doesn’t really help narrow down issues related to a specific add-on as it’s all or nothing.

Otherwise the recommended approach is to disable the add-ons from within your admin control panel if that is an option. Disable all, re-enable each one by one, until you find the one that triggers it.

Disabling all add-ons can be done in one click.

Unfortunatley, the issues were causing the styling to fail for the admin control panel too, making it unusable. The only way I knew to try and recover from that was to disable the listeners first, then I had a working admin control panel where I could test add-ons one by-one.

Top Bottom