• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Photography forum recommendations

Ingenious

Anyone have any recommendations for a good photography community, one with some good expertise (I have some lens and DSLR video questions) but also newbie friendly?

Razasharp

My photography forum used to be pretty busy, but it's going to be replaced by a custom site... when I get round to it.

The funny thing is I thought running a photography community would be fairly easy, but it proved to be the most challenging - it's very difficult for people to take (and sometimes give) criticism of work.

I would just google photography forum and read a few - the culture will be quite different on them, some will be more welcoming of newbies than others..

Allen

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ is pretty good.

Have you come across DPReview.com? http://www.dpreview.com/forums After working with XF you'll hate the bespoke forum software they are using but there is some good knowledge transfers in there.
I use DPR pretty much daily and I've always wondered what forum script they were using. I think the way they display EXIF data on mouse overs, etc. for pics (since the site is photo centric) is (or maybe was) unique and apropos.
However, I could not find info re: 'bespoke forum software' that you mentioned above. Do you have a link?

Thanks.

OSS 117

It's not a common word in America. Most people don't know what it means. Tell someone you purchased a pair of bespoke brogues from Foster and Son and they'll look at you as if you just grew a third eye. Tell them you had custom, hand-made shoes made for you they'll understand. At which point they'll think you're insane for having spent about 2800 quid for a pair of dress shoes. They last for ages.

Custom; custom tailored; tailored; unique; etc., would be more common words the average American would understand.

Allen

Yeah, sorry... had to look it up.
Bespoke:
a : custom-made <a bespoke suit>
b : dealing in or producing custom-made articles
dialect : engaged

So you're saying the software's spoken for then?
:whistle:

:D

...but there is some good knowledge transfers in there (DPReview).
As I said, I make use of the site pretty much daily, but it can be scut work separating the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited: