1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phishing Email

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Liam W, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I actually believed this, I even changed my password because of it (I didn't follow the links in the email though).

This is just to warn you to watch out... I can't believe I believed it. I'm normally careful :/

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 16.23.40.png

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

#1 warning sign... root@localhost. ;)

MattW likes this.
  3. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

That's not shown on my phone though. You have to go into more info, which I usually don't do. ;)

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Most services, such as Facebook, will let you know via e-mail if someone has tried to access your account from an unrecognizable location or device, so it's important to know when the e-mail's real and when it's not. In this case, it wasn't a legitimate e-mail.

5. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

Well, you can check by the Last Activity - Details link at the bottom of the Gmail page.

And... Gmail know your name, why they call you "Hi email address"? :D

6. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

OK, maybe some parts should have been obvious, but you try reading it on a phone after purchasing a second hand computer which could have come with spyware.

Anyway, it was time to change my password. I've had the same one for a while now.

Kintaro likes this.
  7. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

8. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I reenabled that yes. I had to disable it previously due to the use of an app which I invariably deleted due to my use of ROMs.

9. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

You access gmail via the web interface on your phone? I strictly use imap interface and pull it into the phone directly.

10. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Gmail app.

11. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

You don't need to disable Google's 2-step authentication for apps/devices that require a Gmail login but can't receive the confirmation code. Just create a custom app password for them.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1173270?hl=en

That is how, for example, I have my Synology home SAN sending me email alerts using Gmail.

12. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

I would have believed that. What tipped you off to that being fake?

13. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Why on earth would you not format a computer you don't know the history of?!

14. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Some attractive programs on it.

15. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

OEM installation of Windows on the computer with no back-up discs or a backup partition.

16. Always check who the email is sent by and report it to your local police online abuse department.

17. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

You'll know when there's a legitimate warning. When you login it'll show a large red banner at the top which when you click X on will ask you to use a new password. It happened to a BS account I had and hadn't signed in for 7 years... My attempt was from somewhere in the UK. Google must sense a login pattern and won't complete a session login even if the password is correct.

18. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

Someone please tell me, how can I avoid falling for this? I have seen such emails can clicked them before... :S

19. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

There's one infallible solution. Never click on links in emails.

Amaury likes this.
  20. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Unless you trust them, of course, and know exactly who they're from (e.g., I have it set up to get e-mails of new videos from some of the channels I'm subscribed to on YouTube).