• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Phishing Email

Liam W

I actually believed this, I even changed my password because of it (I didn't follow the links in the email though).

This is just to warn you to watch out... I can't believe I believed it. I'm normally careful :/

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 16.23.40.png

Amaury

Most services, such as Facebook, will let you know via e-mail if someone has tried to access your account from an unrecognizable location or device, so it's important to know when the e-mail's real and when it's not. In this case, it wasn't a legitimate e-mail.

Kintaro

Well, you can check by the Last Activity - Details link at the bottom of the Gmail page.

And... Gmail know your name, why they call you "Hi email address"? :D

Liam W

OK, maybe some parts should have been obvious, but you try reading it on a phone after purchasing a second hand computer which could have come with spyware.

Anyway, it was time to change my password. I've had the same one for a while now.

Kevin

I reenabled that yes. I had to disable it previously due to the use of an app which I invariably deleted due to my use of ROMs.
You don't need to disable Google's 2-step authentication for apps/devices that require a Gmail login but can't receive the confirmation code. Just create a custom app password for them.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1173270?hl=en

That is how, for example, I have my Synology home SAN sending me email alerts using Gmail.

OSS 117

You'll know when there's a legitimate warning. When you login it'll show a large red banner at the top which when you click X on will ask you to use a new password. It happened to a BS account I had and hadn't signed in for 7 years... My attempt was from somewhere in the UK. Google must sense a login pattern and won't complete a session login even if the password is correct.

Amaury

There's one infallible solution. Never click on links in emails.
Unless you trust them, of course, and know exactly who they're from (e.g., I have it set up to get e-mails of new videos from some of the channels I'm subscribed to on YouTube).