Permissions: Restore own thread, lock/unlock own thread

Rigel Kentaurus

Now that I am operating a forum, I am actually missing a couple of permissions.

1) Ability to restore own thread
There is a permissions for deleting own thread, but figures that once it has been deleted (soft-deleted), the author cannot see it anymore, and he cannot restore it should he need to. Only option is republishing or getting a moderator to restore the thread.

2) Ability to lock/unlock own thread
I did a small hack for closing threads older than 30 days, to prevent people digging old threads and spammers adding messages. However, I liked the fact that I could give the original author the privilege of unlocking their thread should they needed to revive them for contributions. That was really useful. As it stands now, that is not possible.

Upvote 26
if theres is "Delete post by self" in users or groups permissions
then its much better to have
LOCK THREAD BY SELF

where registered users can lock their own thread.
with that, we mods and admin will have lesser task on simple requests like locking their own thread.

LOCK THREAD BY SELF is better than delete post by self
since its still can be crawled by google

I think if the thread gets locked by the thread starter ... as long as a moderator was notified that would be a great idea. The locked thread should be flagged to have a moderator look at possibly deleting the thread or unlocking it.

There should also be a ...
Reason for Locking: ______________________

I think this is a good idea. Very friendly to posters.
It might spawn "thread wars" where people start a new thread about the locked thread.
In the scenario a thread starter wanted to lock the thread, but the admin didn't, It would be nice if the admin to "take over" rights to the thread.
I also think that it is somewhat of a niche use. Maybe it should be an addon ?
Cool idea !

It can work, but I'd still like the power of closing threads to stay with me and my moderation team.

It can work as in you can limit who can use self close, say like members who have contributed to the community and/or have more than x number of posts/trophy points. Or only a certain member group has the ability (e.g staff who have no moderation power but help in writing articles etc)

Maybe it's just me, I don't allow users to delete their own threads/post, since I want moderation to be done only by my moderation team but I can see this feature helping some big communities.

It can work, but I'd still like the power of closing threads to stay with me and my moderation team.

that is why theres a permissions sets, where you can enable it or disable it depending on you as admin.

in a trading forum, you just cant accomodate to hundreds of "please close the topic request"
by the authors since their item has been soldout.
that is just massive task!

note the addon i want is an additional feature so that WE xenforo owners have better control over our forum :)
besides in a forum The Thread Starter is the main author of the topic.

not available in 1.1

looking forward for this option to be enabled in the next update..
as this will lessen the work of the moderators for a busy forum sites

user have the right to delete lock or edit their own thread. As long as the admin knows who did so!
I am looking forward to this option

+1

I run a tech support forum, where we kind of rely on users being able to close their own threads once their issue is resolved, only re-opening them if they need to. This makes our life much easier when scanning for issues. We recently migrated from vB, and were surprised to find that "Open / Close own threads" is not a native permission in XF.

For the moment I may use this:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/infisjsc-topic-starters-rights.24/

... but I hate running addons that hook in to core functionality like permissions.

-- hugh

Top Bottom