Permissions for additional usergroups?

Floren

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how permissions work and I need your help to configure properly my usergroups. Presently I have the default layout for all usergroups in Xenforo. I created an additional usergroup called Verified Users. This user group needs to have permissions enabled to access a forum visible only to them.

Scenario:
User Alpha is a primary Registered user and secondary Verified user. He should access fine all regular forums as well the Hidden forum (visible to everyone except Registered and Unregistered groups). Right now, with the default settings, user Alpha cannot access the Hidden forum, if I enable the Secondary User Group as being Verified.

So I guess I need to define the permissions in a specific way, for the Hidden forum. So far, I customized the forum permissions an left default all usergroups , but set the Registered and Unregistered usergroups with all permissions to Inherit, except View Node who is set to Revoke. So technically, an user who has the Secondary User Group checked as Verified usergroup, should be able to access the site. Well it does not, right now.

Thanks for helping me understand how perms work.

This is a good starting point: http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

There's also this: http://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/

Jake's thread contains a lot of discussion which may answer your questions: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/

Essentially permissions are cumulative.
Keep everyone in the Registered user group as the primary.
Then add them to secondary groups for any additional permissions you want them to have.

For node specific permissions, just allow or revoke for each group as required.

What you have done sounds correct, but if you have Never set anywhere then that will override everything else.

Thanks Brogan, I will read your tutorials and let you know if I solved the issue. :)

> Keep everyone in the Registered user group as the primary.
> Then add them to secondary groups for any additional permissions you want them to have.
That is the part I need to understand. I did that and it does not work...

To clear things up, so far:
1) I setup the new Verified usergroup options identical to Registered usergroup. From reading the Help, I don't need to do that as the Verified usergroup inherits by default the Registered usergroup, correct? In other words, it should have all options set to Not Set (No).

2) Presuming the above statement is correct, all I have to do is define specific permissions for the Hidden node, where I allow specific usergroups to view it. Therefore, I only need to customize only how the Verified usergroup acts for that specific forum.

To clear things up, so far:
1) I setup the new Verified usergroup options identical to Registered usergroup. From reading the Help, I don't need to do that as the Verified usergroup inherits by default the Registered usergroup, correct? In other words, it should have all options set to Not Set (No).
Exactly.
Only set any additional permissions which you want to change to Allow.
Everything else can be left not set as the user will get those permissions from the registered group.

2) Presuming the above statement is correct, all I have to do is define specific permissions for the Hidden node, where I allow specific usergroups to view it. Therefore, I only need to customize only how the Verified usergroup acts for that specific forum.
Yes.
You can set the node as private and just allow access for the Verified group (View node: Allow).

OK, I broke things nicely. :D

This is what I did so far:
1) Set the all Verified usergroup permission options to Not Set (No).
2) Checked on an Alpha user the Secondary User Group as Verified.
3) Tested the user permissions, he cannot see the entire board! Heh

What did I missed? The Registered usergroup perms are default...

Capture.webp

What you've described should work.
I have some groups myself set up exactly like that.

Is the user in any other group which has Never set for anything?

No, that user does not belong to any other group that was set to do anything.
Also, all the Node permissions are default, except for a private forum and Announcements. Guests can see fine the forum, only users who are set as Secondary User Group cannot access the forums at all.

Never mind, the error was located between the screen and seat. :D
Fixed.

Something, somewhere isn't set up correctly as what you've described should work fine.

In fact, I've just tested that exact scenario on my local installation and it works as expected.

Top Bottom