Not planned Permissions Copying

Arnox

I get that we're supposed to make the Registered Users group the standard for everyone and just make groups from there, but sometimes, it's just not that easy. Especially when it comes to node permissions.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The need to copy permissions usually indicates fighting against how the system is designed. You shouldn't generally be repeating permission sets. If you are, then you should likely just be applying the "role" to more people. (See the discussion about roles here: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/groups-permissions/)

So therefore, this isn't something we're likely to implement.

The need to copy permissions usually indicates fighting against how the system is designed. You shouldn't generally be repeating permission sets. If you are, then you should likely just be applying the "role" to more people. (See the discussion about roles here: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/groups-permissions/)

So therefore, this isn't something we're likely to implement.

I agree, this is something we did in vBulletin where you might need a permission set that is the same as another group but a few changes. In Xenforo you just do those few changes in secondary group and those are then just added to (or taken away from) the default primary registered.

Copying a permission set would just make things as confusing as they used to be in vBulletin!

I didn't expect a dev to chime in. Especially this soon! <3

Sorry, I know it's unrelated to the OP, but thank you for the attention you provide, even if it's small. Most companies just make a "suggestion" forum and then they just ignore it pretty much.

Anyway. OK, I can see that I suppose for Usergroups, but what about nodes? Actually, do they inherit permissions of the category they're under? If so, I guess XF's point is pretty solid.

Yes, permissions are inherited down the tree by default (the default permission value is "inherit").

Top Bottom