[Permissions] "Can select style/language" per user group?

lightbox

Hi,

I would like to keep the default style and the default (english) language for internal use, but I don't want my users to be able to switch to these style(s) and language(s). In the user group permissions, I can't find corresponding settings like "Can select style" and "Can select language".

Have I missed something or isn't this possible right now?

Cheers,
Martin

You can prohibit styles from being selected by clicking on the style name and unchecking Allow user selection.
All styles will still be visible to administrators.

It is not possible to prevent a language from being selected.

Ok, I think I can live with this global permission setting for style selection for now.
But the language selection permission should at least have the same way to disable or enable globally, imho.

What advantage is there to disabling the English language, if you don't make it the default? It will allow people to opt into it if they really desire. Chances are, people not looking for it won't even notice it anyway (and if they don't know English, they certainly wouldn't switch to it either :)).

Mike, you are smarter than that. :)
Maybe I want to have one language for internal use, where I can test translations (length of words) before I want them to go public?
Maybe I want to keep one (non-public) default english language version and maintain another (public) english language with my customized phrases?

I don't like the idea that every language automatically is available to everyone.

Same applies to styles, btw.
If I create a new style, I might want my team members (moderators) to review and test the new style while it isn't yet public. Currently I would have to give them administrator permissions to see a non-selectable style, right?

Maybe I want to have one language for internal use, where I can test translations (length of words) before I want them to go public?
Maybe I want to keep one (non-public) default english language version and maintain another (public) english language with my customized phrases?

I don't like the idea that every language automatically is available to everyone.

If I create a new style, I might want my team members (moderators) to review and test the new style while it isn't yet public. Currently I would have to give them administrator permissions to see a non-selectable style, right?

All arguments aside, I would recommend setting up a separate test forum if you want to test languages and styles. It's good practice to keep development and production separate.

Jake, a second installation helps a lot as long as you're running a relatively simple "single-server" forum.
It gets much more difficult as soon as you're running a multi-server environment where a second setup easily ends up in a lot of additional maintenance work to keep both (live and development) environments up to date in all aspects (styles, languages, add-ons, custom modifications).

That's exactly what I want!!! @Jake Bunce I think that feature is currently implemented in XenForo 1.3??? I have the 1.2.4 version. Please someone confirm me :) Thanks!

Top Bottom