MG 1.1 Permission

teletubbi

I have a question about the permission.
We are a closed Forum. Only some areas are open to the public to drive people to register.

As this i have the permission for gallery all to not set for guest / unregisterd.
Same is to look at memberlist / memberprofil.

Today i had a lot of Ip`s for guest who show me this:

Screenshot_2.webp

I translate if someone don`t understand.
Guest is looking at the medias of paradise.
Where paradise is a member of our forum.

Have the same with other members as well.

So i am wondering what this means.
If someone really looking at his medias or is it just a try?

I'm not sure why the session activity is updating when there's a permission error. That seems odd.

But certainly when I try to access any media, and specifically when I try to access any user's media at your site I get the error:
Du hast keine Rechte, um Medien betrachten zu können.

Looking at the code, you literally can't access anything media related without the view media permission.

So it certainly no one will be actually viewing that media as a guest.

Thats the right message you get.
I checked it also when i logged out.

That`s why i was wondering to got this statement when i look at /online/?type=guest

Can make members worry about someone is looking as guest.

This is a fair concern to have.

This is a XenForo behavior that's been around since the beginning, but we think making a change here is fair.

So, in XenForo 1.5, we will no longer show online users who are viewing a page in an "error" state (such as the permission error on the media page).

If you have the bypass privacy permission and you view the online users list, they will still show, but we will indicate that they are viewing a page in an error state:

upload_2015-8-11_13-48-14.webp

This should make it more clear for the Admin that permissions/privacy is working, while not concerning the users that guests are viewing their private content.

@Chris D, was the change here implemented for any error page? Your post, at least to me, made it sound like it was only for media related stuff.

We just updated to 1.5.0 and I noticed the error indicators (because our forum was turned off), and, remembering your post here, I wasn't sure if they were intended for all pages:

KHF Error.webp

Thanks in advance for clarification.

Last edited:
Top Bottom