XF 2.1 Permission question

manu25

Hello,

I've got multiple questions regarding permissions.

I'm using custom help pages for some informations. Now i need a solution that only certain usergroups can view some of the help pages, ist that possible somehow?

What is the easiest way to set all the permissions for my forums and categories for a usergroup? If i have to go trough all of my 100+ forums for all of my usergroups, then it's a never ending work for me.

Regarding promotions, is there a way to make them instant? E.g. When a user make his first post, he will be promoted to a usergroup eith more permissions, but that should be instantly.

Best Regards

Last edited:
I'm using custom help pages for some informations. Now i need a solution that only certain usergroups can view some of the help pages, ist that possible somehow?
Help pages don't have permissions, so there isn't anything built in for that.

You may wish to consider using page nodes as they are in the node tree and thus can have individual permissions set.

What is the easiest way to set all the permissions for my forums and categories for a usergroup? If i have to go trough all of my 100+ forums for all of my usergroups, then it's a never ending work for me.
You'd need to be more specific, but if you want a custom set of permissions for a node (and children), then you do have to set them individually.

Permissions are inherited by default, so if you make changes at a category/parent level, forums/children under that will have those settings.

Regarding promotions, is there a way to make them instant? E.g. When a user make his first post, he will be promoted to a usergroup eith more permissions, but that should be instantly.
There isn't anything built in to do this. You might be able to create a new cron task to trigger this more frequently, but it wouldn't be instant.

Thx Mike.
I know manu25. He is from vBulletin.
Some things are misterious... ^^
Cron:
Add a custom Cron with the same entries.
After deactivate the original Cron.
Attachement is a german translated XF2.1

Attachments

• Auswahl_002.webp
    Auswahl_002.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 5
Thank you @Mike. I've solved all the permission stuff after some testing and trying, now i think i understand the entire idea behind the permission and usergroup system (with the secondary groups).
Regarding the promotion system, are there any drawbacks, when i just add a new cron, which does run every minute to promote the users? Does this give too much overhead?

Regarding the promotion system, are there any drawbacks, when i just add a new cron, which does run every minute to promote the users? Does this give too much overhead?
It's certainly more overhead, but the amount would generally depend on how many active users you have in a period, as the cron only promotes recently active users. It's probably not a significant issue.

The only other caveat I might mention is that we only update a user's last activity in the DB periodically (compared to every page view), so if a user hasn't been active for a while and comes back, they may not be picked up by the promotion cron instantly.

It's certainly more overhead, but the amount would generally depend on how many active users you have in a period, as the cron only promotes recently active users. It's probably not a significant issue.

The only other caveat I might mention is that we only update a user's last activity in the DB periodically (compared to every page view), so if a user hasn't been active for a while and comes back, they may not be picked up by the promotion cron instantly.
Okay until now i haven't seen any significant overhead so far, should be good.
So after a user logs in, it can take (in my case) up to one minute to promote him right?

Top Bottom