Permission: 'Can Reply to Others Threads' (limit bad members)

Alpha1

A common approach for members who keep misbehaving is to put them into a sin-bin usergroup which limits their permissions. An important factor is to only let them reply to their own threads, so they do not affect the threads of others.

Please add a permission for nodes and usergroups:
Can Reply to Others Threads

We had this on vbulletin and setting it to NO worked great.

Upvote 18
Because that would create unnecessary workload for the staff. That approach is not feasible for active big boards.

The concept of sin-bin is that you contain the activity of bad members until they redeem themselves. Not only does that limit the damage they can do, but it's also unpleasant for the bad members. This gives them incentive to improve their behavior. Some try to improve their behavior. By themselves and with help of the community. Others give up and leave. Others keep making problematic posts until they are eventually banned.

So the point is that they can start their own threads and reply to threads they have started, but they can't reply to threads that other people have started?

Wouldn't they simply then go and start their own threads in competition with existing threads just so they can post in them?

What happens if you merge a thread they started into another existing thread so that they are no longer considered the thread starter?

Just trying to think through the ramifications of doing this rather than simply limiting their ability to post at all.

I find that thread bans are a very effective tool for managing problem users - if they continually take a thread off topic or cause problems in that thread, simply ban them from posting in it. Achieves largely the same effect that you've suggested without arbitrarily limiting them to not being able to contribute to other threads.

From my experience, most of our troublemakers largely only cause trouble in certain topics (eg politics, religion, or perhaps a specific thread about a topic they are overly passionate about or like to troll in), and so a more targeted approach to managing them via thread bans works quite effectively.

If they are causing problems across a wide number of threads such that you can no longer trust them at all to post in threads other people have started - I think you've likely got to the point where they need to be banned outright?

Perhaps the dynamics on your site are significantly different in a way I don't appreciate?

Just thinking out loud!

There is already the permission "can start new thread" etc so I'm assuming that this permission is used to prevent a sin-bin user from simply creating parallel threads. Limiting the ability to post in others' threads competed the sin-bin "jail cell"

There is already the permission "can start new thread" etc so I'm assuming that this permission is used to prevent a sin-bin user from simply creating parallel threads. Limiting the ability to post in others' threads competed the sin-bin "jail cell"

Yeah, good point - I think it would be a bit more effective if you combine this proposed new permission with revoking the "can start new thread" permission to create a form of sin bin whereby they can only post in threads they have already started.

Our sin-bin members were not able to reply to others threads (when we were using vb). They were also not able to start new threads in most forums. (but that is still possible as this permission exists)

Top Bottom