Permanently closing a forum

It depends on how big the user base is and how much you care about the user base.

Personally, if the site is of a substantial size I've given up to one month notice on the site.

If it's a site that's just started out, I've just pulled the plug and POOF it's gone.

User base of roughly 2,000. Not sure whether any notice is required.

Has anyone ever showed up to a forum only to see a "closed" sign?

I've never seen a "closed" message on a site unless they were undergoing some major changes. Usually if a site is shut down, it's just taken offline and you get an error in the browser when someone tries to access it.

If you're simply pulling the plug then you might as well post an announcement stating "closing down" and put the offer out there for one or more of your members to take ownership. It's no loss to you as you can simply transfer ownership of the domain/hosting/licences and long live the site.

If you don't want it anymore, why not offer to sell it? You can probably find someone that wants to buy it on TheAdminZone forums or other similar places that cater to forum admins. There are dudes out there actively looking for forums to buy.

Why are you closing the forum?

I've decided against closing it. I go through periods where I want my life back, or a different life that perhaps I have forgotten about since technology consumed me over 25 years ago. But then I start getting inspired again, designing, delving into what's possible. It's an ebb and flow of creative energy, I suppose. And then I suspect that as I'm getting older, I will have more of the ebb and less of the flow. That worries me sometimes. Hopefully that's not the case, though.

Regardless, I have found lately that I'm more inspired when I de-emphasize the forum, since it adds a great level of stress and complication to my life (the complications inherent in human interaction). But putting WordPress on the front end and splurging for a style that gives me much more creative control (and juice) has put the inspiration back into me. So that's really good.

Focusing too much on the forum part of this technology game will wear you down, I think. It does me, anyway. Nevertheless, for a guy like me who loves publishing, the Internet is pretty much irresistible. I do often bump into the limitations of my knowledge relative to what I want to accomplish, but perhaps that's another topic altogether.

Last edited:
If you don't want it anymore, why not offer to sell it? You can probably find someone that wants to buy it on TheAdminZone forums or other similar places that cater to forum admins. There are dudes out there actively looking for forums to buy.

I agree 100%. There is a huge market for forums. Many website owners want a forum to compliment existing websites in their portfolio but don't have the time or energy to start one from scratch.

I've decided against closing it. I go through periods where I want my life back, or a different life that perhaps I have forgotten about since technology consumed me over 25 years ago. But then I start getting inspired again, designing, delving into what's possible. It's an ebb and flow of creative energy, I suppose. And then I suspect that as I'm getting older, I will have more of the ebb and less of the flow. That worries me sometimes. Hopefully that's not the case, though.

Regardless, I have found lately that I'm more inspired when I de-emphasize the forum, since it adds a great level of stress and complication to my life (the complications inherent in human interaction). But putting WordPress on the front end and splurging for a style that gives me much more creative control (and juice) has put the inspiration back into me. So that's really good.

Focusing too much on the forum part of this technology game will wear you down, I think. It does me, anyway. Nevertheless, for a guy like me who loves publishing, the Internet is pretty much irresistible. I do often bump into the limitations of my knowledge relative to what I want to accomplish, but perhaps that's another topic altogether.

I know how you feel.

In this case it is a pity to just close it, find a member who will co-run it, admin & moderate. That way you can take time off when you feel it is appropriate. If the site is monetised you could share some of the income.

Top Bottom