Lack of interest perfecting pagination

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

dethfire

I would like to see infinite scroll. But if not then this:

When going back pages you should end up at the bottom of the page instead of the top. However going forwards you should be at the top.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Infinite scroll is a separate (and should already be existing suggestion).

Your latter suggestion is really down to browser behavior. I would expect to be taken to the same place in the page as I was when I clicked a page link. Chrome certainly does this without issue for me.

Your latter suggestion is really down to browser behavior. I would expect to be taken to the same place in the page as I was when I clicked a page link. Chrome certainly does this without issue for me.
hmmm using Chrome it shoots me up to the top of the page when I down. Not sure that makes sense as default browser behavior. If I click a footer link on a page I don't expect to be at the footer for the next page.

I suppose I misinterpreted. When you said going "back pages", I took that to be using the back button rather than clicking a previous page.

I take your point now, but I don't really think I agree with it. The implication is that you'd be reading backwards post by post, but I'm not sure that's necessarily how people would use it. Going to the start of the page is by far the most common behavior and I think it makes sense to maintain that.

The implication is that you'd be reading backwards post by post, but I'm not sure that's necessarily how people would use it.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree then. I know plenty of people who go backwards and usually it's post by post. When would you want to go from the top of page 6 to the top of page 5? You miss a huge chunk of posts.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree then. I know plenty of people who go backwards and usually it's post by post. When would you want to go from the top of page 6 to the top of page 5? You miss a huge chunk of posts.
I think you are on to something. I mean think of it this way, in an ideal world pagination would just request the next set of n posts. So you shouldn't move your position at all.

With the current pagination system, it doesn't work that way. I agree its not ideal, but there are plenty of situations as Mike said where you do want to be at the top, and that extra scroll event may not be indicative of the action and be confusing to many.

Top Bottom