Percona vs MySQL - Have you migrated to Percona and how does it perform compared to MySQL?

CTXMedia

I'm currently awaiting my new server hardware and have been thinking about the build and optimising parts of it from the outset.

To that end I've been reading about MySQL and Percona and the concensus seems to be that Percona is a better performer so I'm considering using it.

Has Percona been a good upgrade for your server/sites - how is resource usage and speed?

How does support, documentation, etc. compare with MySQL.com?

Have you ever found yourself needing to use the paid support service?

Any other feedback welcome. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Been using Percona for the last few years and it has been rock solid for me, it's binary compatible (same as MariaDB). I look at it this way:

Oracle - stock mysql, lacks behind Percona, MariaDB
Percona - optimise InnoDB to hell, look at performance and scalability, neglect MyISAM
MariaDB - optimise MyIsam, Aria engines, optimise Query Optimiser, includes XtraDB from Percona

With 5.6 coming along nicely many of the enhancements made by Percona, MariaDB and other patch providers have made their way into Oracle's stock, still, I would never move back to stock MySQL.

I use all 3

• Oracle MySQL 5.5
  • Percona 5.5
  • MariaDB 5.2 and 5.5
My preference is for MariaDB for mixed innodb/myisam boost :D

no need for paid services as i'm tweak and tune for each myself

documentation wise Percona is better than MariaDB though.

Thanks for the feedback (it helps to know others have a positive experience with something before diving in).

I think I'll go with Percona and see how it pans out. (y)

Cheers,

Thanks for the feedback (it helps to know others have a positive experience with something before diving in).

I think I'll go with Percona and see how it pans out. (y)

Cheers,

I've been wanting to play with Percona for a while, (im subscribed to their mailing lists), let me know how it goes.

I switched my VPS to Percona as soon as I migrated my forum over to XF. Straight replacement for MySQL, and installed via their yum repo.

Replacing MySQL with MariaDB or Percona is no problem whatsoever and takes only a few minutes. Stock MySQL is replaced by Percona or MariaDB automatically if you add their repo and do a simple "yum update mysql*".

For mixed MyISAM and innoBD databases MariaDB is recommended.

However Percona allows to you export and import single InnoDB tables from one database to another. So if you need this, Percona is the way to go.

Also Percona provides a wonderful backup solution (Percona XtraBackup), but it works with MariaDB also, so no need to install Percona just for that. ;)

Also Percona provides a wonderful backup solution (Percona XtraBackup), but it works with MariaDB also, so no need to install Percona just for that. ;)
Ah, but ... I thought XF had a mix of InnoDB and MyISAM tables ... but looking at my database now (briefly), I only see three or so MyISAM tables ... so I guess maybe I really could use a solution like XtraBackup?

Reactions: HWS
Ah, but ... I thought XF had a mix of InnoDB and MyISAM tables ... but looking at my database now (briefly), I only see three or so MyISAM tables ... so I guess maybe I really could use a solution like XtraBackup?

XtraBackup handles MyISAM perfectly too. ;)

I was desperate at one point to squeeze out every last bit of performance from mysql, and percona performed far better than mariadb or stock mysql. Haven't felt any need to change back since

Strangely got significantly worse CPU usage from mariadb, even though I've got some gigantic myisam tables knocking about.

I was desperate at one point to squeeze out every last bit of performance from mysql, and percona performed far better than mariadb or stock mysql. Haven't felt any need to change back since

Strangely got significantly worse CPU usage from mariadb, even though I've got some gigantic myisam tables knocking about
Luke,
What is the process of moving to percona from stock mysql on an unbuntu environment.

Luke,
What is the process of moving to percona from stock mysql on an unbuntu environment.

I'm not sure, I would assume you just add their repo and install

(was even easier for me on arch, it's in the official repos)

Reactions: HWS
I've used Percona for a few years, no issues. I converted all my DBs over to innoDB awhile back, no reason to use MyISAM these days unless you need it for fulltext searching, although that's supposed to be added in 5.6 for innoDB.

no reason to use MyISAM these days unless you need it for fulltext searching, although that's supposed to be added in 5.6 for innoDB.

correction, not supposed to be, but has actually been added to 5.6 - early benchmarks show 5.6 innodb fulltext search > 5.5 myisam fulltext search

only downside of innodb is much more memory and disk resource usage than myisam

no reason to use MyISAM these days unless you need it for fulltext searching, although that's supposed to be added in 5.6 for innoDB.

Or delayed inserts

HLstatsX:CE pretty much relies on delayed inserts to keep load anywhere near acceptable - performs far worse on innodb without the delayed inserts

I'm using latest/current Debian, and have added the Percona APT repository.
Ran apt-get update & apt-get upgrade but it only updated the libmysqlclient16 binary.
How does one migrate from MySQL to Percona on Debian?

I'm using latest/current Debian, and have added the Percona APT repository.
Ran apt-get update & apt-get upgrade but it only updated the libmysqlclient16 binary.
How does one migrate from MySQL to Percona on Debian?

Did you first stop the daemon and then remove all aspects of MySQL server via apt-get first?

Did you first stop the daemon and then remove all aspects of MySQL server via apt-get first?

No, so I need to re-install for it to pickup the Percona version instead?
Or wait until there is a version upgrade and it will do that from Percona repo instead?
Thx

Top Bottom