Percona vs MySQL - Have you migrated to Percona and how does it perform compared to MySQL?

No, so I need to re-install for it to pickup the Percona version instead?
Or wait until there is a version upgrade and it will do that from Percona repo instead?
Thx

Percona is a drop in replacement for MySQL, sort of like Litespeed replacing Apache. You need to first stop your MySQL daemon and then remove all instances of the mysql server.. uninstall mysql, the database files are not removed, but feel free to backup them if you want

apt-get remove MySQL-test.x86_64
apt-get remove MySQL-shared.x86_64
apt-get remove MySQL-server.x86_64
apt-get remove MySQL-devel.x86_64
apt-get remove MySQL-client.x86_64

Once your done with that, pull over all the rpm's of the Percona files matching what you just deleted and then install the rpm's

feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss the option of me doing it for you :D

I've been wanting to play with Percona for a while, (im subscribed to their mailing lists), let me know how it goes.

Hey Slavik, I know you like managing servers, so I would like to know if you have ever tried Percona ?
Do you think it deserves to move to Percona with a big board XenForo ?

Is Litespeed + Percona on a WHM/cPanel server a good idea ?

Hey Slavik, I know you like managing servers, so I would like to know if you have ever tried Percona ?
Do you think it deserves to move to Percona with a big board XenForo ?

Is Litespeed + Percona on a WHM/cPanel server a good idea ?

Yes, i've played with both mariadb and percona.

Both offer similar performance (as mariadb uses perconas innodb module), but personally I prefer percona from the enterprise standpoint, and the quality services and information they provide.

Personally, id say any big board if possible should switch to percona. Adding litespeed or nginx in over apache will also supercharge the site, its quite the speedy setup :)

Yes, i've played with both mariadb and percona.

Both offer similar performance (as mariadb uses perconas innodb module), but personally I prefer percona from the enterprise standpoint, and the quality services and information they provide.

Personally, id say any big board if possible should switch to percona. Adding litespeed or nginx in over apache will also supercharge the site, its quite the speedy setup :)

That looks amazing, thanks you for the tips !

So the move from MySQL to Percona can be done without having to BU and restore the DB ?

That looks amazing, thanks you for the tips !

So the move from MySQL to Percona can be done without having to BU and restore the DB ?

You should obviously take full backups *just in case* however, i've never encountered a problem yet, stop mysql, remove the old mysql libs, install percona, start mysql, job done.

You should obviously take full backups *just in case* however, i've never encountered a problem yet, stop mysql, remove the old mysql libs, install percona, start mysql, job done.

Ok, thanks you very much for the help :)

I don't think you have to even stop mySQL since Percona is a direct replacement (at least I didn't on any of the servers I set up). It basically acts as an upgrade to the existing mySQL, and on Debian it will stop it for you during the upgrade and then restart it. Making a backup beforehand is always a good idea though.

Always backup before upgrade !

I use MariaDB but also tested Percona as well. I prefer MariaDB though :D

I replace finally mysql 5.5 community in my db server by percona 5.5 tweak a little my.cnf and i feel (maybe is a placebo effect) that the insert are faster.
One question that i have is that if is posible change innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit actually have set to 2 to 0, i dont have any problem with lost one second transaction, but can be faster ??

Top Bottom