PC System Tester - Software suggestions needed

Jamie

I have two laptops that someone gave me.. they are older systems, but I would like to get them up and running for a needy family, but I don't want to just give them something that may not be worth it.

Are there any system testers, analyzers that will show me the condition of the hard drive, screen, things to look for?

I know it's an open type question, but I don't know exactly how to ask what I am looking for. :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jamie

I am assuming they will boot up, and they are windows (non-apple), and probably xp.

At the very least, while viewing folders/files (explorer), right click on the c: drive and under general you can do a 'disk cleanup' and under the 'tools' tab there should be a 'check now' for error checking, and a defragment button.

I am sure there are many other ways to test, and don't forget that the BIOS tests every bootup.

ubuntu is nice, does that have special diagnostic programs if he makes a bootable thumb drive?

I don't think he is looking for a different operating system, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I have looked at ubuntu for myself, but for this, Dean is correct. I am just looking for something to run on this machine (running WinXP) to 'check it out' to make sure it's not junk before I give them away.

Jamie

Linux in general is less resources intensive ... hence my suggestion to install Ubuntu

The new laptops will have full Internet browsing capabilities + Office tools (OpenOffice) = a functional and useful laptop.

And a special Thank you for Jamie :)

Thanks for the suggestions, and I have looked at ubuntu for myself, but for this, Dean is correct. I am just looking for something to run on this machine (running WinXP) to 'check it out' to make sure it's not junk before I give them away.

Jamie

Then install a fresh XP (If you do not have it but you have the license (under the laptop) PM me. I will give you access to Microsoft's repositories)

And a special Thank you for Jamie :)

For?

Then install a fresh XP (If you do not have it but you have the license (under the laptop) PM me. I will give you access to Microsoft's repositories)

I do have a copy of WinXP and there is a license key stuck under the laptop. This sounds like a good way to go, then things will be clean and a fresh start. I'll do that.

Thanks!
Jamie

Ah! Well people have helped me along the way so I try to give back when ever I can. These systems are older, but still usable and to good to be tossed or scraped.

Jamie

That is signature worthy for Jamie - "Paying it forward one day at a time" :)

(for the record, I almost prefer older computers, usually more durable)

Ok, guys.. I have an issue..

This weekend I formatted and reinstalled WinXP on these laptops. The Audio, Video, PCI modem, and Networking drivers didn't install. So I went to IBM's (Lenovo) website, downloaded the drivers needed to a flash drive, and installed them.

On one of the laptops everything installed perfectly and is up and running, went through the updates for Windows and is ready to give away.

The other however won't load the network drivers. Everything else loaded, Audio, Video etc, but I see the network drivers in the Device Manager list and they have yellow ! but attempting to update the driver didn't work. Uninstalling them and rebooting and having windows find them and point it to the driver folder didn't help.. I have run out of options and just can't figure this out.

Any help?

Jamie

Ok.. you need to install it manually

Some older computers don't even have network interfaces from the laptop manufacturer.
Inspect the laptop manually (turn it over, open it, dig for the network card) and find it manually.
OR is it PCMCI ?

I did install it manually on the first laptop, but the second one just wouldn't load the drivers even though they were loaded and working before I reformatted. (both wired and wireless)

The laptops are Thinkpad R52 machines. The network card is built in. This is the driver I downloaded and install in the first one that worked, but it just won't load on the second machine for some strange reason.

Jamie

Have you tried uninstalling the whole thing from the Control Panel?

uninstall it, reboot then decline windows's offer to install the "newly discovered" hardware, and install the downloaded drivers.

try that .. hopefully it works ...

I have tried that as well.. no dice. I even tried a program that was created for backing up and restoring your drivers for older machines and although that backed up the drivers from the 1st laptop which was working, and then restored them to the 2nd laptop, still nothing...

This one is just being a pain. :)

Jamie

hmmmmm.... how about reinstalling windows all over agin ... and make sure to format the hard drive ...

I know it's pain .. but if no hardware failure this should fix the problem

Yeah, I thought of that and then thought I would ask here first. :) I will give that a try and report back! Thanks for your help with this.

Jamie

Top Bottom