Paypal Here... Wow

I think eBay helped paypal's cause greatly. Most who use eBay, use PayPal for making payments. Making it the standard payment method most do use.

Cant see this taking off in the UK. It's almost like the "too much hassle" factor. Happy to be proved wrong tho... swipe and type in Pin Vs all that hassle in the video?? I'd rather swipe and type! it's quicker!

I was never able to remove my Debit Card from an old PayPal account, even after numerous emails "to and from" telling them I'd closed the account but forgot to remove card details first by mistake. Waste of space trying to deal with them. 2 years on after that and still couldn't register the same debit card with a new account tried because still linked with closed old one. They told me then, it only stays linked for 12 months. It was still linked 2 years later the lying sods.

I fired them off and have never owned a PayPal account since. They don't even advertise a phone number you can use to contact them, not that I ever saw going back 4-5 years ago now when it happened?

I've also known a few people who got their PayPal accounts "unfairly suspended". But I always take it with a grain of salt because to date, all the people I asked about it... it always turned out they were doing something that violated PayPal's terms (one guy was using it for an escrow service, one guy was selling "get rich quick" eBooks, another guy wasn't old enough to actually HAVE a PayPal account so he lied about his age/identity, one guy created his PayPal account through a US proxy since he was in a country not supported by PayPal, another guy was sending payment as "gifts" when he was actually buying stuff to get around paying PayPal's fees, etc.)

So while I'm sure there are some cases that PayPal accounts were unfairly suspended... I would bet the majority of them were suspended for some sort of violation (even if the person being suspended didn't personally think it was "fair"). It simply wouldn't make business sense to terminate PayPal accounts and lose out on revenue.

There was also someone I knew who WAS terminated unfairly, but their account was reinstated shortly after he called and whatever it was got worked out/fixed.

AdSense is another one people are always getting "unfairly banned" from. Although in that case, I know it does actually happened because it happened to me (Google reinstated it after a few days after they realized they were incorrect). And in the end, being banned from AdSense for a few days might have been the best thing that ever happened to me... Because it was that event that made me realize how stupid it was to be reliant on a third party for ad revenue. So I built Digital Point Ads that weekend. :) http://blogs.digitalpoint.com/entry.php?b=192

The only thing with AdSense that makes me wonder at times. What if a Group of people decided to target your forum "clicking your ads daily and very regular". How on earth does Google know the difference between it being done on purpose out of pure spite against your site, such as competition in the same forum niche. Or your in it as a game-plan to try and cheat money out of them.

Well in that case, that just goes to show how very easy it would be if your running a busy forum in the same niche as another doing well. But they might rely solely on AdSense revenue to keep going. Wouldn't be hard to throw a Big Spanner in their works and how relying on AdSense alone is really a huge risk factor.

PayPal are a bunch of thieves.

I know of many people who have had their accounts frozen for no apparent reason and trying to contact PayPal to get their own cash released is an exercise in futility.

They should have been closed down by the FSA years ago.

Here's someone else who has been screwed by them: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/new-registration-email.477/

^^ This man speaks the truth. (y)

Every paypal user seems to defend paypal to the death, until they; themselves find themselves wonder what the f*ck happen?!

I use to sell on eBay. I had 100% positive rating of over 10,000 items (zero negative, zero neutral, zero disputes). Attached to this I also had a 100% confirmed business paypal account with a record a few years old (zero disputes, zero charge backs, zero refunds). Flawless. :cool:

At the time I had currently 500 eBay items selling (I was power seller). 1 single person after receiving their item demanded a refund through paypal. Before I can even respond or act or reply.... My account was frozen. No warning. No appeal.

My paypal account could still receive funds, so while I was learning of my account being frozen; people were paying me for the 500 items I had sold. In the end the account had A LOT of money in it, but no where near how much it could have had (from the past).

I fought with paypal for years to get my money back with no resolve. They gave me every excuse in the book... This assuming they would even address me. Most of the time I was randomly disconnected from the call, when waiting on hold or my e-mails were never replied back to. :mad:

Took them to court and spent another year or two fighting them. When I won, they tried to appeal that as well. Finally got a judge to award me a win, with prejudice (no appeals).

Wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I honestly find Paypal to be a fair payment processor with the best for global reach. Google Wallet doesn't reach globally yet, not the reach of Paypal... nor any other payment processor has the reach.

Overall, their fee's are quite good for payment processors.

I would say there are usually better local processors through your banking institution when you're at the higher end of sales levels... though obviously you must factor custom solutions being built for your site to work with such local banking solutions to accept credit cards globally via Visa directly.

Still though, no bank in Australia provides a mobile solution like this one here.

So what do you think was behind it all, I mean what did they have to gain as such? Because they was obviously making good commission from your sales, with you being a power seller and so many items listed selling on a regular bases. Because like Shawn said, it doesn't make sense really, they are cutting their own throat so to speak loosing a customer like yourself over one single refund claim made against you in all that time.

So what do you think was behind it all, I mean what did they have to gain? Because they was obviously making good commission from your sales, with you being a power seller and so many items listed selling on a regular bases. Because like Shawn said, it doesn't make sense really, they are cutting their own throat so to speak loosing a customer like yourself over one single refund claim made against you.

That is the standard argument and I'll give you the standard reply (though not always accepted reply) ..... ANSWER: Hell if I know.

I like to think (theory) that with all the interest on both their bank accounts, plus the money market account (which they had back then) .... They felt it was profitable. Alone sure... My account may have been a drop in the bucket, but I wasn't alone in this happening. Collectively for everyone this happens too... That must be a large number.

But they have a strong following. ... ie ... Every paypal user seems to defend them to the death... Blindly. And I say blindly because they can't even conceive that possible chance of it ever happening to them. It's just a lot easier to believe this can't happen, until it does happen to you..... I know..... I was the same way

I have had an account with Paypal for 10 years, 8 of those as a merchant, and not once have I had a problem with them (other than having no 'real' seller protection for digitally delivered goods - but that just made me get better at handling my own risk). I would venture to guess I'm not an anomaly just as DP stated above.

Some of the things Shaun was talking about with RFID, I went and did some reading about coming technological advancements, and it surpasses even RFID implants. With tools today to measure neurological activity such as MEG, Google are in partners with other bio-facilities to create an implant that taps directly into your neural network and when you are questioned about something and don't have the answer, it will automatically search the web and find the answer for you, with a direct implant into your neural network, thus the answer is now in your brain directly having bypassed reading it, to just respond within seconds.

This is the basic spectrum of AI which we already have around... though very fascinating when you read about what is already here and in testing.

The www has turned the world upside down, inside out, for goods and services, let alone communications.

Twitter helped revolutionist in Africa overthrow dictators and become democracies, just by communicating through it via their mobiles to rally forces at key locations and attack in unison.

It is becoming interesting.

I have had an account with Paypal for 10 years, 8 of those as a merchant, and not once have I had a problem with them (other than having no 'real' seller protection for digitally delivered goods - but that just made me get better at handling my own risk). I would venture to guess I'm not an anomaly just as DP stated above.
Also never really had any issue with them in close to a decade of using them. The occassional dispute resolution, but they only freeze those funds, not ALL funds, until the dispute is resolved. Some times it has gone my way, some times it has gone the buyers way... just the way it is when you provide services and Paypal now have different methods for services, not there old way of no refund policy on them.

I much prefer AlertPay.com (referral link)

Think of it as Canada's version of PayPal, but a lot more secure. When you sign up, you have to verify everything you impute. Proof of address twice (they mail something, you mail something), proof of phone number, proof of bank account, proof of credit / debit card, proof of ID, and all that "proof" is reviewed manually. No automated system or quick sign up, but very thorough and secure. If you want to sell on a website, you have to prove ownership and accepted content too.

All the features of PayPal, including their debit card.

PayPal required me to answer my phone once and they confirmed my bank account. And that was it. I was verified. (If I remember correctly). Far to many people scam through paypal.

Another one I like is Google Checkout (now known as Google Wallet) checkout.google.com

Exactly like paypal, except you can't directly send money via e-mail, but you can request it. A little insight .... Google is "thinking over" the idea of a Google Debit Card (nothing official or final yet, just a thought internally). Don't quote me on it.

Of course I also enjoy using 2 Checkout (2checkout.com). Their membership isn't free, but they process everything world-wide. They even accept payments where paypal will not go (such as India). They're also my secret weapon on getting around paypal since they will accept paypal payments (though they do hold them for a while).

I much prefer AlertPay.com (referral link)

Think of it as Canada's version of PayPal, but a lot more secure. When you sign up, you have to verify everything you impute. Proof of address twice (they mail something, you mail something), proof of phone number, proof of bank account, proof of credit / debit card, proof of ID, and all that "proof" is reviewed manually. No automated system or quick sign up, but very thorough and secure. If you want to sell on a website, you have to prove ownership and accepted content too.

All the features of PayPal, including their debit card.

PayPal required me to answer my phone once and they confirmed my bank account. And that was it. I was verified. (If I remember correctly). Far to many people scam through paypal.

Another one I like is Google Checkout (now known as Google Wallet) checkout.google.com

Exactly like paypal, except you can't directly send money via e-mail, but you can request it. A little insight .... Google is "thinking over" the idea of a Google Debit Card (nothing official or final yet, just a thought internally). Don't quote me on it.

Of course I also enjoy using 2 Checkout (2checkout.com). Their membership isn't free, but they process everything world-wide. They even accept payments where paypal will not go (such as India). They're also my secret weapon on getting around paypal since they will accept paypal payments (though they do hold them for a while).

That's cool that you prefer those but they have nothing to do with the topic.

/ontopic time

Once I get a phone (haven't decided between an iPhone 4s, Droid, or Windows Phone (I really really want the Lumia 900 when it goes on sale), but I will most likely get a Windows Phone) I will probably use this new paypal feature, that is if they come out with an app for windows phone 7/7.5/8.

AlertPay has some pretty bad reviews (easily found in Google), which is why I decided not to use it. 2CO's merchant fee's are sky high and their payout terms suck (for merchants). I actually had all kinds of problems with 2CO as a merchant, hence will never use them again. Can't speak for them as a buyer. Like it or not, Paypal is the best, worldwide, for merchants.

AlertPay has some pretty bad reviews (easily found in Google), which is why I decided not to use it. 2CO's merchant fee's are sky high and their payout terms suck (for merchants). I actually had all kinds of problems with 2CO as a merchant, hence will never use them again. Can't speak for them as a buyer. Like it or not, Paypal is the best, worldwide, for merchants.

Paypal has the most negative reviews you'll ever find via Google. They have whole web pages dedicated to completely talk about the issues people have had about Paypal. Within my search you'll also see how many times they've been sued privately, corporately, and even on a government level (both USA and Europe, more than once).

No service is perfect and such, you'll get one or two negative reviews no matter where you go or who you use. But it is completely another story when you have a legion of people, businesses, and even governments who have had issues with a company, such as paypal.

Also never really had any issue with them in close to a decade of using them. The occassional dispute resolution, but they only freeze those funds, not ALL funds, until the dispute is resolved. Some times it has gone my way, some times it has gone the buyers way... just the way it is when you provide services and Paypal now have different methods for services, not there old way of no refund policy on them.

That is exactly my experience too. I had several chargebacks in the early days, but once I wised up and started implementing manual processing and security vetting myself I have had virtually zero for years.

However, Paypal are not a bank, they are not governed by the normal banking security or Australian government guarantees, nor are consumers protected under Australian Banking Laws at all, if you use them to process payments you do so knowing this risk, whilst for online things most people will take that risk as it is *usually* not large amounts being processed, and Paypal is very convenient and global, and widely accepted/used.

I wouldn't use them for everyday transactions in a real life bricks and mortar business, no way. There are better business options here in our banking system.

Top Bottom