Partner with IFTTT

StarArmy

I'll keep this short: XenForo should look into the possibility of a partnership with IFTTT to add a XenForo channel, where users can create recipes to perform actions based on what's happening on their XenForo or post on their board based on what's happening elsewhere in their network.

Example recipe ideas:
  • If a new Tumblr post, make a thread about it on my XenForo
  • If I get a user alert on XenForo, change my Phillips Hue lights to red color
  • Share my News subforum's posts to my forum's Facebook Page
  • Post a thread when congress passes a new bill (via Sunlight Foundation channel)
  • Post a thread when I post new items in my Etsy Shop (via Etsy channel)
You could get a lot of functionality and automation out of this, and it would provide us forum owners with a way to integrate our various social media. Cross-platform integration is huge.

This isn't something that could done with an add-on; to be a channel on IFTTT I think XenForo would have to do it themselves. Maybe something to thing about for XF 2.0 series?

Upvote 8
I actually concur about the XF app within IFTTT being a good idea. IFTTT has enormous automation potential, and being able to link XF behaviour into other apps and vice versa, OMG... talk about power-up for Xenforo potential.

I use IFTTT for so much... I don't have to check all these different sites or technological things happening, I just setup a recipe and get an SMS or email, depending on what I deem important. I can look at two locations on my phone and have enough info as to whether something requires my action or not.

Right now XF is limited to an RSS feed... which using IFTTT can still do some pretty decent things with their system, but if XF came that the party, WOW it would make life much simpler with full control.

Amazing system IFTTT.

Wait this can probably be done with two simple bits.

1 - The XenForo Rest API (it is a free Addon)
2 - The standard IFTTT API.

Let me look into it. I would love something similar. I am looking into the possibility now of making a system to send out individual custom alerts this way to individual users

Did this ever go anywhere? My use case is I would like to generate an IFTTT notification if someone starts a new thread in a specific forum.

Did this ever go anywhere? My use case is I would like to generate an IFTTT notification if someone starts a new thread in a specific forum.
You may be able to create a workaround using an RSS feed from the forum as the IFTTT trigger, if the forum is public.

Top Bottom