XF 1.2 Partial import from vB

Nnirvi

Hi!

Is it possible to do a partial import from vB? Sort of an update? I'm running the xF now but while I'm tweaking it, the live forum gets new users, threads and posts. It would significantly reduce the downtime when going live if I could just bring the new stuff in instead of the entire forum.

Hi!

Is it possible to do a partial import from vB? Sort of an update? I'm running the xF now but while I'm tweaking it, the live forum gets new users, threads and posts. It would significantly reduce the downtime when going live if I could just bring the new stuff in instead of the entire forum.

I've read that some issues can arise from doing so.

Probably the best way to go about it is to do all the work on the appearance and core features of your site and then do the import.

I'd like to do the styles, settings etc. with the current data so I can see the effects on long threads and such. After this the easiest way to erase the forum data would be rolling back to empty forum. However, this would overwrite the styles and settings too, right?

Ok, maybe the partial import is a bit too tricky. So, how about this. I start from empty forum, style it and tweak it while a limited user base tests the functionality and makes some threads and such for testing purposes only. Then I delete all the areas and users and do the import. This should be ok, right? There won't be any duplicate users or forums this way but is there anything else to take into consideration?

Ok, maybe the partial import is a bit too tricky. So, how about this. I start from empty forum, style it and tweak it while a limited user base tests the functionality and makes some threads and such for testing purposes only. Then I delete all the areas and users and do the import. This should be ok, right? There won't be any duplicate users or forums this way but is there anything else to take into consideration?

It should be okay. Just follow those importing guidelines. If you need help with the import, there are many members who could help out.

Top Bottom