Paranormal Activity 2

DominicE

I've watched part 1 and part 2, but neither were scary but it seems everyone thinks it's the scariest movie ever. I would have to disagree on it and I recently watched part 2 on Friday and it was a disappointment. What do you guys think?

Considering I watched the first one partly buzzed and at 3am in the morning, I got a little scared I'm not going to lie. I'll probably have to do the same on the next one to have the same effect ;p

As a horror fan and a big fan of the genre I just don't think these current day horrors/chiller movies do the genre justice like they did in the 70s/early 80s.
I could not agree with you more. The older ones had more of a "spiritual" context. Examples: The Amityville Horror, The Exorcist.
These more modern horror movie makers feel that you have to add blood/gore to keep our attention.

uh... not.

Give me edge-of-the-seat suspense, and I'm all yours.

I could not agree with you more. The older ones had more of a "spiritual" context. Examples: The Amityville Horror, The Exorcist.
These more modern horror movie makers feel that you have to add blood/gore to keep our attention.

uh... not.

Give me edge-of-the-seat suspense, and I'm all yours.

Two movies you pointed out there are amongst my favs. The "entity" is another one, which scared the hell out of me as a kid, that definitely kept me on the edge of my seat and up late.

I'm also a fan of these old "Zombie" flicks especially the evil dead. City of the living dead with the priest committing suicide was another.

Have not yet seen it, however is on my list to see.
As far as the first one being frightening? Not so much. I can appreciate movies like that and Blair Witch which have virtually no budget and make millions.

Two movies you pointed out there are amongst my favs. The "entity" is another one, which scared the hell out of me as a kid, that definitely kept me on the edge of my seat and up late.

I'm also a fan of these old "Zombie" flicks especially the evil dead. City of the living dead with the priest committing suicide was another.
Oh yeah I liked the Entity as well. heh I saw it in my mid twenties and left the lamp on at night for at least a week.

I'm going to see it at the weekend. I thought the first one was a good film, but it wasn't scary as such. Could of been much better.

Personally... this isn't the type of movie to see in a movie theater, at least the first one. Too much of a risk of that one single person ruining the movie for you because you really do have to focus the entire time haha ;p.

I haven't seen a scary movie in over 15 years.

I've been to "scary" movies, but they never did the trick.

Same here. I personally feel technology has played a big part in why horror movies (imo) haven't came anywhere as near as the scare factor of the old movies. The likes of George A. Romero, Lucio Fulci, William Friedkin and a few others from the 70's/80s are sorely missed. Of course, these low budget horrors (which are nice to see) are trying to get this authentic feel and failing miserably. Blair witch project, paranormal activity are prime examples of this.

The current movies just lack that grit and imagination nowadays. Back in the day, directors, producers would make a movie that would shock "I spit on your grave" is one with a re-make being announced but you know it'll never come anywhere as near as the original. It seldom ever does.

I feel sorry for you people, no honestly I do, you have lost the wonder and enjoyment of a scary movie. People over analysis today and are too cynical for mine.

PA was one of the scariest movies I've seen in ages, helped to be in a packed session with people screaming their heads off. We had something like 10 walk outs in my session when the chick was simply standing by the bed for hours (you don't get a refund in Oz so people tend to sit through anything). A couple of scenes sucked for me, the ouiji board wasn't working, and did she eat in the camera in the end? Apparently Speilberg got involved in changing the ending from the much better police arrive to find her holding a knife.

Peggy surprisingly I think PA pretty much follows The Exorcist's structure, without the medical side of things, with a gradually increase in activity etc. Would agree the 1970s dark genre release were far superior to the modern conveyor belt mentality. "The Omen" comes to mind as well :)

Three movies I'm really looking forward to catching are PA 2, The Loved Ones, and The Last Exorcism.

On the trivia front:

PA 2 won it's opening weekends in both North America and Australia.

PA 2 trailers were pulled from the opening nights of Eclipse due to complaints about it being too scary for the team Edward folks, guess demons don't sparkle enough. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118021261.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Considering the budget for PA 2 was $3 million some Producer with a big cigar has no doubt signed off on PA 3 by now.

Ugh. I can't believe this movie is getting a sequel.

The PA1 has got to be one of the worst movies I have seen ever. Maybe it's just me.. But the original was not scary and I absolutely hated the fact that it was a low budget movie. 1 settings (a house!), 1 actor and 1 actress. It was the first movie I actually walked out on. So.. I'm guessing the sequel will be the same old?

Ugh. I can't believe this movie is getting a sequel.

The PA1 has got to be one of the worst movies I have seen ever. Maybe it's just me.. But the original was not scary and I absolutely hated the fact that it was a low budget movie. 1 settings (a house!), 1 actor and 1 actress. It was the first movie I actually walked out on. So.. I'm guessing the sequel will be the same old?

Apparently pretty similar :) Haven't seen as yet.

I find it amusing that one of the things you disliked about it was that it was "low budget", not everyone can get a Cameron level budget, and the whole thing is it's meant to be a typical family with cameras that we all have access to.

Apparently pretty similar :) Haven't seen as yet.

I find it amusing that one of the things you disliked about it was that it was "low budget", not everyone can get a Cameron level budget, and the whole thing is it's meant to be a typical family with cameras that we all have access to.

To be fair. Most horrors in the 70s/80s which I refer to are based on low budgets. The best horror movies are those with extremely low budgets. I won't say all horrors are bad present day, they aren't but imo they don't stand up those early horrors/chillers that I feel set the benchmark all those years ago.

Amityville the remake what a disastrous movie.
The uptodate halloween (minus donald pleasence) terrible.

I dunno, you can still produce top quality horror flicks with a low budget but I feel the current generation just don't have that warped mind that those looney tunes had back in the day.

I just realised you have a horror site jethro may need to venture of there and take a look. :)

To be fair. Most horrors in the 70s/80s which I refer to are based on low budgets. The best horror movies are those with extremely low budgets. I won't say all horrors are bad present day, they aren't but imo they don't stand up those early horrors/chillers that I feel set the benchmark all those years ago.

Amityville the remake what a disastrous movie.
The uptodate halloween (minus donald pleasence) terrible.

I dunno, you can still produce top quality horror flicks with a low budget but I feel the current generation just don't have that warped mind that those looney tunes had back in the day.

I just realised you have a horror site jethro may need to venture of there and take a look. :)

I think the problem here is equating horror to Hollywood, the genre is at it's best out in the Indies with pretty much gonzo film making going down. Recent examples "The Hamiltons", "Behind the Mask".

Would agree on "Amityville" the remake, we actually developed a drinking game involving multiple bottles of tequila and this movie. For every rip from another movie do a shoot glass, you are guaranteed not to make the half way point in this movie. Don't get me started on the shambles that was the "Halloween" remake.

Thankfully Britain, Australia, and Europe are producing some fine horror at the moment ... along with some dross of course.

I feel sorry for you people, no honestly I do, you have lost the wonder and enjoyment of a scary movie. People over analysis today and are too cynical for mine.

PA was one of the scariest movies I've seen in ages, helped to be in a packed session with people screaming their heads off. We had something like 10 walk outs in my session when the chick was simply standing by the bed for hours (you don't get a refund in Oz so people tend to sit through anything). A couple of scenes sucked for me, the ouiji board wasn't working, and did she eat in the camera in the end? Apparently Speilberg got involved in changing the ending from the much better police arrive to find her holding a knife.

Peggy surprisingly I think PA pretty much follows The Exorcist's structure, without the medical side of things, with a gradually increase in activity etc. Would agree the 1970s dark genre release were far superior to the modern conveyor belt mentality. "The Omen" comes to mind as well :)

Three movies I'm really looking forward to catching are PA 2, The Loved Ones, and The Last Exorcism.

On the trivia front:

PA 2 won it's opening weekends in both North America and Australia.

PA 2 trailers were pulled from the opening nights of Eclipse due to complaints about it being too scary for the team Edward folks, guess demons don't sparkle enough. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118021261.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Considering the budget for PA 2 was $3 million some Producer with a big cigar has no doubt signed off on PA 3 by now.

My daughters (19 & 21) liked PA1 too and are going to see the second one tonight. I'll let you know what they think.
The 19 year old really, really loves horror movies. The movie Devil, scared the crap out of both of them.

The Omen was fantastic as well.

Top Bottom