Fixed "painless" script support

Xon

ElasticSearch v5 has yet another new scripting language, with groovy being deprecated.

I've ported the xf-date-weighted.groovy script file to xf-date-weighted.painless
Code:
return _score / Math.pow(2.0F, Math.min(10.0F * params.halflife, Math.abs(params.now - doc['date'].value)) / params.halflife)
Note; requires a code edit to XenForo Enhanced Search to use painless rather than groovy.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
I've added support for painless now, though it won't always get immediately enabled. It will be used:
  • In Elasticsearch 6 (on the assumption that Groovy will by removed then)
  • In Elasticsearch 5 when dynamic scripting is activated in the XF options
  • When you add this to config.php:
    Code:
    $config['xfesForcePainless'] = true;
The reasoning is that to use a non-dynamic script approach, you need to manually copy the script file to ES's config/scripts directory and it's quite possible people won't do that during a minor XFES upgrade and I don't want to explicitly break something that still works. The config.php switch is a way to opt into the change.

Xon

minor XFES upgrade and I don't want to explicitly break something that still works.
Elastic Search 5.1.1 -> 5.1.2 blocks starting Elastic Search if you still have the old ES_HEAP environment variable defined. :rolleyes:

I'll accept minor upgrades not causing breakages.