XF 1.3 Paid Subscriptions import confusion

JamesBrown

So I've imported the data into my new xF test site and its looking good.:) I can see a problem with paid subscriptions though. I have around 2000 subscribers who when they paid in the VB setup were promoted from either the regular 'registered' user group or a 'read only' group up to the 'Subscriber' group. And they are kept in this group during the import

Now in xF what will happen when the subs expire, will they automatically be dumped back into the default user group? I test 'downgraded' a member and he still stayed in the subscriber group.

If anyone could help in this subs import area I'd appreciate it. Thanks

If the subscription renewal does not occur (which it won't, as paid recurring subscriptions aren't carried across), the member will be downgraded and removed from the user group.

You will need to ask the members to resubscribe.

Just to note: it's unclear if you used primary or secondary group change on our source. If it was a primary group change, XenForo does not have that concept so while the subscription details are imported, the group will not be changed when it expires. Only secondary group changes are supported (and will be demoted automatically after an import).

Thanks, I've no idea whether I used primary or secondary group changes. They were in one group. Registered or ReadOnly. Paid their subs and got upgraded to the Subscriber group. Is that a primary or a secondary group change?:confused:

XenForo can only handle the group change for the subscription if you had a setup that added the user to a group (rather than changing their group).

What a bummer! Any idea how I might stay on top of that. The Active upgrades list is useless as it's not searchable or sortable. And any members I miss or forget will stay in the subscriber group when their subs expire and get a free ride :eek:

As it stands, there isn't really any built in tools that would help beyond what you've already tried. There may be an add-on that would help.

Using the group moving functions of xF I have now managed to get all users in the 'registered' group as primary, while subscribers are now members of the 'subscribers' as a secondary group. Hopefully now when subs expire they will fall out of the subscribers group. I'll let you know.

They won't, because the user upgrade (subscription) didn't put them there. As it was a manual change, it would have to be reverted manually. (There may be some ways around this, but they would involve custom development.)

Any reason why you can't disable new subscriptions to the old "Subscriber" group, create a new usergroup with the same permissions as the old Subscriber group and set up a new subscription scheme for it? This way the current Subscribers will continue to get their current level of perks until their subscription term ends, at which time they can puchase an upgrade to the new paid subscription usergroup. It's not an ideal solution, but would it be an adequate workaround?

Any reason why you can't disable new subscriptions to the old "Subscriber" group, create a new usergroup with the same permissions as the old Subscriber group and set up a new subscription scheme for it? This way the current Subscribers will continue to get their current level of perks until their subscription term ends, at which time they can puchase an upgrade to the new paid subscription usergroup. It's not an ideal solution, but would it be an adequate workaround?

It could be done by manipulating the database directly, but its not something we can really "support" due to the massive variation in user skills / knowledge when it comes to such things.

They won't, because the user upgrade (subscription) didn't put them there. As it was a manual change, it would have to be reverted manually. (There may be some ways around this, but they would involve custom development.)

This is killing me, I was going to make the swop-over to xenForo this weekend, but I can't if it means I have to manually monitor 2000+ subscriptions. If anyone has any ideas how I might sort this problem I'd really appreciate it.

This is killing me, I was going to make the swop-over to xenForo this weekend, but I can't if it means I have to manually monitor 2000+ subscriptions. If anyone has any ideas how I might sort this problem I'd really appreciate it.

I know this is a pretty old post, but I am in the exact same position. @JamesBrown, how did you finally address your subscription migration issues?

I made a spreadsheet showing all the subscribers and when they were due. Then 2 or 3 times a week for a whole year I manually downgraded subscriptions as they ran out. How glad I was when the 12 months was up :)

Top Bottom