Paid Softwares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz

I think if a forum software comes out new, should be free. Once its gets bigger it should then switch to paid like most software. Also if you had the software when it was free you should be able to upgrade for free.

I disagree.

if you build a company with the goal to make commercial software, the first version is simply: the first version.

It's quality, complete, and under commercial license, so it should not be free.

If you build something and you do not believe in what you can do, or if users will use it, if you can't believe in what you're making .. don't charge for it.

I would find it a bad business model to release version 1 for free, and ask money for version 2.

Wait, please remind me when was Microsoft Windows, Adobe Creative Suite, and StarCraft II were free. I want to go back to those times and grab my free licenses...

I think if a software comes out new, should be free. Once its gets bigger it should then switch to paid like most software. Also if you had the software when it was free you should be able to upgrade for free.
This way doesn't secure the future of the software and does not promote longevity. You get what you pay for. If you want free alternatives may i suggest PHPbb or sMf?

IPB's little stunt converting from free to paid involved a lot of lies, and out right disgusted admins that left the software and permanently hate the software with a passion. Seeing the history of that, I do not think any one with a conscious business mind would go down the same route.

demos are for demonstrations, not tests. Everybody uses, not like you can change password and stuff. You need time to test something out

The first versions should be a test version, to give people a reason to buy it.

should be, per your opinion.
But it won't be.

Internal testing might be free, and will be done most likely.

demos are for demonstrations, not tests. Everybody uses, not like you can change password and stuff. You need time to test something out
There are online demos of other products that are not shared by other users and allow you to do a lot, but not everything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom