Paid Softwares

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are online demos of other products that are not shared by other users and allow you to do a lot, but not everything. :)
Exactly my point, they don't let you do everything. Besides having a forum software paid once it comes out, just makes people want to nullify it.

demos are for demonstrations, not tests. Everybody uses, not like you can change password and stuff. You need time to test something out
You can read around the forums , ask people to see users reactions before you purchase etc You know using your senses like in a mall or market. You don't go around asking for stuff to test.

but still it won't be a full versions. btw great discussion guys.
The private beta testing will be the full version. Otherwise it's not worth the test. Any for-sale version after that will be full version + bugs fixed. And also tested again.

::choke, sputter, cough::
Jive is effing absurd pricewise. I'm guessing a lot of novice/hobbiest admins would have a coronary if they got a price quote from Jive :eek:.
They should have legal disclaimers about heart attack hazard for the novice/hobbyist webmasters :) It is quite a good solution, though.

demos are for demonstrations, not tests. Everybody uses, not like you can change password and stuff. You need time to test something out
You as the forum admin need to decide what you want to use for your site. Not your users. Demo will tell you whether or not you like it. If you like it enough to pay for it, great. If not, there are other alternatives available.

You can read around the forums , ask people to see users reactions before you purchase etc You know using your senses like in a mall or market. You don't go around asking for stuff to test.
You test it if you never seen it or heard of it. You don't test it if you already have maybe used it once but not full version

I think if a forum software comes out new, should be free. Once its gets bigger it should then switch to paid like most software. Also if you had the software when it was free you should be able to upgrade for free.
Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. When you write your own forum software you should do that. Let me know and I'll be happy to check it out. :cool:

Exactly my point, they don't let you do everything. Besides having a forum software paid once it comes out, just makes people want to nullify it.
Even if it was $5, you would still pirate it.

It won't be free, thank you for your feedback though.

I will do that. But my forum software would most likely be open source
Best of luck with that. However, XenForo is not open source as far as we are told, and I'm pretty sure not founded and developed by you. As such, it is unlikely that XenForo will go down the route you've suggested.

Cheers! :)

By that logic no software should start off free? Sorry but i don't see your point.
I will explain my point again. If you have written a forum software that is going to be paid you should give out free ones for about 2 weeks or a month so people could get the feeling. Or you should have two different stuff. One can be paid and awesome. One can be free but not have as many features.

Thanks for your opinion, but it won't be free. It's not worth discussing, it simply won't be given away for free.

There is no point.
Free softwares are free.
Commercial softwares are paid.

If you like a free software, you use it for free.
If you don't like a free software, you won't use it.
If you like a commercial software, you pay for it.
If you don't like a commercial software, you won't use it.

Pretty simple.
Start skipping McDonalds, and start saving money :)

IPB going commercial was quite a PR disaster. I'm pretty sure XenForo is not going to make such a mistake.

I think its because you don't see my point
I have to admit it, reading your request did bring out a bit of anger in me but i sooner calmed down reread it and decided it's not worth it. But thank you for your suggestion though. It's always welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom